Paal Kozhukattai is authentic and traditional recipe of tamilians. My grandma prepares this during my childhood, there are two versions, the first one is the rice balls steamed in cow’s milk and the second version is the rice balls steamed in coconut milk and jaggery syrup.
This is commonly prepared at times of Vinayagar chathurthi, as an offering to God Vinayaga. I have tried out the first version, it was delicious, yummy. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Rice flour – 1 ½ cups
- Milk – ½ litre
- Sugar – 200 gms
- Grated coconut – ½ cup
- Cardamom power – ½ tsp
- Boil 2 cups of water, take rice flour in a wide mouth bowl.
- Boil the milk in a heavy bottomed vessel.
- Pour in the boiled water little by little and mix it with a spoon.
- Continue pouring water and mixing, until it forms to a large ball.
- Divide into small portions and roll it to small balls (half the size of lemon).
- Now gently drop the balls one by one to the boiling milk and keep in medium flame until the rice balls are steamed.
- Sprinkle cardamom powder and add the sugar and grated coconut when the rice balls are almost steamed.
- Wait until the balls are well steamed and the milk reduces to half the amount.
- Remove from fire.
Serve hot or at room temperature.
Making of Paal Kozhukattai –