Coming to rasam, mostly all of us remember rasam made with tamarind, garlic, peppercorns and vegetables. But now here comes a different rasam recipe with chicken and particularly with the same health benefits of other rasam. This was a big hit in my kitchen, not to miss my kids they too loved it. A delicious, yummy and tangy non-vegetarian rasam recipe.
Kozhi Rasam goes out well with steamed rice for lunch or dinner. Also good to have during the sick times and a perfect dish for cold weather. This can also be consumed as soup. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Chicken with Bones – 200 gm
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 ¼ tsp
- Black peppercorns – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Tomatoes – 2 nos (well ripen)
- Pearl onions / Sambhar onions – 6 nos
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Red chilies – 3 nos
- Garlic – 5 nos
- Onions – ½ no
- Ginger – 1 “inch stick
- Coriander leaves – 5 stalks
- Fennel seeds / Perunjeeragam – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Peel the pearl onions and thinly slice the onion. Peel and roughly chop the ginger.
- Clean and chop the chicken to small pieces. Separate coriander leaves and stalks.
- Roughly chop one tomato and finely chop the other one.
- Heat a tsp of oil, add in the pearl onions, red chilies, ginger and roughly chopped tomato, cook until cook until the raw smell goes off. Remove from fire.
- Spread it in plate, bring to room temperature and grind it to a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in kadai, add fennel seeds and curry leaves. Wait until they crackle.
- Add in the thinly sliced onions and finely chopped tomatoes, along with turmeric powder and cook until the tomatoes become mushy.
- Add in the chicken pieces, along with salt and coarsely ground paste. Cook until the chicken turns white in color.
- Add in two cups of water, cover and cook until the chicken is tender or pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Crush garlic, peppercorns, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and coriander stalks using mortar and pestle.
- Keep in medium flame, when the chicken is cooked tender.
- Sprinkle the crushed ingredients over the rasam along with chopped coriander leaves and wait until it starts boiling.
- Remove from fire, once when the rasam starts to bubble (boiling).