Jeera Poli is means poori soaked in sugar syrup, we mention sugar syrup as “Jeera” in our place and this is one among my favorite sweet from childhood. My grandpa use to get this sweet as evening snack for us. This is very easy and simple to prepare, but I could remember that this would be in different shapes with little foldings in it. I prepared this all of a sudden as per my daughter’s request for some sweets to celebrate Raksha Bandhan with my little naughty son. I prepared it in a simple way without any foldings, will share the others soon.
A perfect and easy sweet for festival like Raksha bandhan and Diwali. Let us move on to the recipe…
- All purpose flour / Maida – 1 cup
- Water – 3 cups
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Coconut grated – ½ cup
- Sugar – 1 ½ cups
- Saffron strands – few strands
- Food color – a pinch (red, orange and green)
- Take the maida/all purpose flour in a bowl along with salt and pour water little by little, knead it to soft dough, pour in a tbsp of oil and knead for 5 mins. Keep it aside for 15 mins.
- Take a wide mouth vessel, add the 1 ½ cups of sugar and pour in 1 cup of water, keep in medium flame, stir it once in a while until the sugar dissolves.
- Wait until the water reduces and thickens to syrup consistency. Add in 3 to 4 strands of saffron and cardamom powder, stir it with the spoon and the syrup should stick to the spoon.
- Remove from fire and keep it aside.
- Divide the dough into small portions, roll them to balls and then flatten them using a rolling pin by dusting flour and then cut them into desired shape. Repeat this for all the balls and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadhai, drop in the rolled poori one by one gently and cook them both sides until they golden brown.
- Drain the oil and then dip both sides in the sugar syrup and place in a tray. Repeat this for all the pooris.
- Heat a tsp of ghee/clarified butter in a kadai, add the grated coconut and cook until it becomes golden brown.
- Remove it to a plate and sprinkle a pinch of food color over the grated coconut and mix it well.
- After 5 mins, drizzle a tsp of sugar syrup over the colored grated coconut and keep it aside for 15 mins.
- Sprinkle the coloured grated coconut all over the poli dipped in sugar syrup, also drizzle few drops of sugar syrup over the poli.
Serve it. Goes good for festival time and also can be offered to god.
Note: You can also sprinkle chopped nuts over this poli.