One more wonderful collection to my chicken gravy – Chicken Jalfrezi, usually my kids never have capsicum, even when I prepare it along with noodles, they use to collect it to the corner of the plate. But this time it never happened, happy to see my kids having capsicum in jalfrezi.
Chicken Jalfrezi goes out well with Chapathi or any Indian Breads. A delicious gravy with tender chicken and yummy flavor and aroma of capsicum.
Health benefits of Capsicum: Capsicum protect eyes from cataract, supports healthy eyesight, helps in burning more calories, they provide several anti-cancer benefits, helps in developing strong bones, cures Iron deficiency and turns skin healthy and youthful.
Check out my chicken recipes (biryani, curry, gravy and fry) in this link: https://madraasi.com/main-course/non-vegetarian/poultry/
Let us move on to the recipe…
- Chicken – ½ kg
- Capsicum – 2 nos
- Onions – 3 nos
- Tomato – 1 ½ nos
- Green chilies – 2 nos
- Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Ginger-garlic paste – 2 tbsp
- Curd/yogurt – 3 tbsp
- Coriander stalks – 6 to 7 stalks
- Lemon juice – 1 no
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 3 tbsp.
- Clean the chicken and chop them to small pieces.
- Marinate chicken along with ginger-garlic paste, lemon juice, salt, turmeric powder, chili powder, garam masala, coriander powder, curd/yogurt for almost 1 hr.
- Peel and finely chop the onions. Chop the tomatoes, capsicum and slit the green chilies into equal halves. Wash and chop the coriander stalks.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a kadhai, add a handful of onions and cook until they start turning golden brown.
- Add in the capsicum along with salt and cook for few mins, until the capsicum is half-done.
- Remove the capsicum to a separate plate and keep it aside.
- Heat the leftover oil in the same kadhai, add in the leftover onions and green chilies and cook until they turn golden brown.
- Add in the tomatoes and cook until they turn mushy.
- Add in the marinated chicken along with margination, cover and cook until the chicken is done (sprinkle little water if needed).
- Add pepper powder and mix it well with chicken, cover and cook.
- Add in the half-cooked capsicum and cook for few mins or until the gravy thickens and the oil floats on the top of the gravy.
- Remove from fire and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot by garnishing with few coriander leaves.
Note: You can adjust the spiciness according to your taste by adjusting the level of chili powder and green chilies.