I have shared few rice recipes / one pot meal recipes and now this time it’s completely different recipe – Spinach Rice / Keerai Sadham, here the rice is cooked with spinach and few spices. I would strongly suggest Amaranthus Tritus / Arakeerai in tamil for this recipe.
Arakeerai in tamil and is known as Thotakura in Telugu, Chauli in Hindi and Cheera in Malayalam.
This Spinach rice / Keerai sadham is an authentic and traditional food of south Tamilians (Tuticorin and Tirunelveli). A very healthy, delicious and flavorful dish, a good source of consuming spinach, especially for kids those who never include spinach in food. This goes out well for lunch with fried vadagams (Koozh vadagams).
Health benefits of Arakeerai / Amaranthus Tritus: It helps in preventing some common diseases like fever, constipations, purifies blood, improves the vision and also increases the blood content.
Do check out my other vegetarian rice recipes (one pot meal) in this link: https://madraasi.com/main-course/vegetarian/
I am taking it to Fiesta Friday #85 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
- Arakkeerai / Amaranthus Tritus – a bunch
- Onions – 1 ½ nos
- Tomato – 1 no
- Cumin seeds – 2 ¼ tsp
- Garlic cloves – 6 nos
- Rice – 1 ½ cups
- Red chilies – 5 nos
- Coconut pieces – 3 tbsp
- Tamarind – a gooseberry size
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split Black gram – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp.
- Destalks the spinach, wash them in water, drain the water and keep it aside.
- Peel and finely chop the onions and garlic, keep it aside.
- Finely chop the tomatoes.
- Soak tamarind in ¼ cup of water and prepare tamarind extract.
- Take coconut pieces, 2 tsp of cumin seeds and red chilies in a blender and blend them to fine paste by adding little water.
- Add in the tamarind extract along with the ground coconut masala and continue grinding it to fine paste. Keep it aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a pressure-cooker, add in ¼ tsp of cumin seeds, onions and garlic. Cook until they start turning golden brown.
- Add in the cleaned spinach and cook for few mins or until they become dark green in color.
- Add in the washed rice and cook for few mins (5 mins) along with little salt and turmeric powder.
- Pour in 4 cups of water, let it boil, cover and pressure-cook for 2 to 3 whistles.
- Remove the lid, when the pressure subsides.
- Pour in the grounded coconut masala, tomato and a handful of spinach along with a cup of water, give a stir, and keep in medium flame, until it thickens.
Serve hot with vadagam or pappad for lunch topped with a dollop of ghee/clarified butter.
Note: Cover the vessel immediately after you cook, so that the aroma does not escapes out and serving with a dollop of ghee/clarified butter is optional.