This is my 2nd plantain stem/vazhaithandu recipe, I have tasted plantain stem just recently after hearing its health benefits and also I loved the taste of it. Now this resulted in the second recipe.
Health benefits of Vazhaithandu / Plantain stem: It is a good source of dietary fiber. It acts as a laxative and can ease constipation and when combined with buttermilk, it helps in weight reduction. It is a relief for ulcers, burning sensation and acidity. Let us move on to the recipe…
Do check out my Plantain stem Stir-fry version in this link: https://madraasi.com/2015/01/06/plantain-stem-stir-fry-vazhaithandu-poriyal/.
- Banana stem (chopped) – 2 cups
- Onion – 1 no
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split Black gram – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Coconut pieces – 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Green chilies – 2 nos
- Yogurt / Curd – 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Peel and chop the plantain stem into medium pieces (cubes) and soak them in buttermilk to avoid decolorisation.
- Peel and finely chop the onions.
- Ground the coconut pieces and cumin seeds together to a fine paste by sprinkling little water.
- Pressure-cook plantain pieces in water for about 3 whistles.
- Remove the lid, when the pressure subsides.
- Heat oil in a kadhai, add in the mustard, black gram seeds and curry leaves. Wait until they crackle,
- Add in the onions and cook until they turn golden brown.
- Pour in the coconut masala and cook until they start turning brown in color.
- Add in the pressure-cooked plantain stem/vazhaithandu along with the water and cook until it thickens.
- Add in the yogurt/curd, cover and cook until the gravy thickens and becomes dry.
- Remove from fire and transfer it to a bowl.
Serve hot with steamed rice any gravy. I goes out well with egg curry and fish curry.