Chow-Chow is one among the squash family. This is considered to be an expensive vegetable in south India. I love this chow-chow and also have shared one recipe and now this is my second one with the combination of green gram dal/moong dal. It is also known as “Pear squash”.
Benefits of Chow-Chow: Improves heart health, prevents constipation, produces energy, prevents bone loss and reduces blood pressure. Let us move on to the recipe…
Do check out my other Chow-Chow Stir-Fry – 1 in this link: https://madraasi.com/2014/09/10/chow-chow-chayote-squash-stir-fry/
- Chow-Chow – 2 nos (medium size)
- Split green gram / Paasiparuppu / Moong dal – 3 tbsp
- Red chilies – 4 nos
- Onions – 2 nos
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split Black gram – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Coconut (grated) – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Peel and roughly chop the chow-chow/chayote into medium cubes.
- Peel and finely chop the onions.
- Clean and wash the split green gram, drain the water.
- Pressure-cook the split green gram and chayote with two cups of water for 2 whistles.
- Heat oil in a kadhai, add in the mustard, split blackgram, red chilies and curry leaves. Wait until they crackle.
- Add in the onions and cook until they turn golden brown.
- Add in the pressure-cooked chow-chow and split green gram with turmeric powder and salt.
- Stir well and cook for 5 to 8 mins.
- Add in the grated coconut and cook until it becomes dry.