Maa Vilakku (lamp made with rice flour and ghee) is one of the most important festive thing among Tamilians. I love the taste of this Maavilakku, which is sweet and delicious. Actually people prepare to convey their prayer to god. They prepare this Maa Vilakku, fill it with ghee/clarified butter and lit lamp with cotton wig and do their prayers.
Even I have did this 6 months back, as my mom had an offering to do this Maa Vilakku prayer for me as I had gall stones, inorder to rectify it. After the surgery, she prepared this Maa Vilakku, took me with her to the amman temple, I was made to lie down on the temple and she kept this vilakku on my stomach and offered her prayers :P.
This Maa Vilakku is one of the most important thing in this Puratasi month, as people go on pilgrimage to Thirupathi and lit this Vilakku and do their prayers. But everyone can’t go or travel there, so those who are not able to travel there lit this Vilakku (lamps) and do their prayers. It is believed that as this Vilakku (lamp) is lit all the sorrows would go off and the Lord rectifies all the problems in our life. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Rice Flour – ½ cup
- Palm Jaggery – ½ cup
- Ghee / Clarified Butter – 4 tbsp
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
- Take the rice flour in a wide mouth bowl.
- Crush the jaggery and add it to the rice flour, mix it well.
- Pour in the ghee/clarified butter little by little and mix it well.
- Crumble it well, continue this process until the flour it able to mould to a shape.
- Roll the whole flour to a big ball, dig it in the middle and make a small well.
- Pour in the ghee/clarified butter, drop in a cotton wick, lit the lamp.
Note: This Maa Vilakku stays fresh for almost a week time in room temperature. You could also prepare this lamp with milk and water instead of ghee/clarified butter, but it stays fresh only for few days and later it should be refrigerated.