Nowadays ragi/finger millet is commonly used among all of us, as they help in managing Diabetics and helps in weight loss. Since my hubby is diabetic, I always look for Ragi recipes, I used to prepare ragi porridge daily for him. But even I was bored in preparing ragi porridge daily and then I tried out this batter, idly was very soft and Dosa was Crispy. So I prepare this once in every week.
Health Benefits: It helps in weight loss, because of the bulkiness of fibers and the slower digestion rate. It is the richest source of calcium among plant foods and so it helps in strengthening and developing the bones. It also helps in diabetics and helps in lowering high cholesterol level and so on. Being low in fat and gluten free, ragi is easy to digest. It is also even to babies in the form of porridge.
It would highly recommend this recipe for Diabetic people, because both Ragi/Finger millet and Ulundam paruppu/Blackgram are good source in helping Diabetic.
Let us move on to the recipe…
- Ragi / Finger Millet Flour – 3 cups
- Whole Blackgram / Urad dal / Ulundam Paruppu – ¾ cup
- Salt to taste
Making of Keppai / Ragi / Finger Millet Idly/ Dosa Batter –
- Soak urad dal/black gram in water for about 3 hrs.
- Drain the water and grind the black gram along with little water (add water little by little while grinding).
- In a wide mouth bowl, take ragi flour, pour water little by little and mix it with your hands, be sure no lumps are formed.
- Pour in the ground urad dal batter to the ragi flour and mix it well with your hands.
- Add in little salt (a tsp) for taste, cover with the lid and let it ferment for 6 hrs.
After fermentation, you can make idly or dosa or kuzhipaniyaram as you wish. Refrigerate it immediately after fermentation, else it would the batter would turn sour. Stays fresh in refrigerator for almost 4 days.
For Ragi Idly recipe, check out this link: https://madraasi.com/2015/09/24/ragi-finger-millet-idly/