Prawn when combined fee veggies, gives a delicious flavor and taste. I have also shared few of the recipes, and now this with prawn and Vazhaikkai / Plantain (unripen banana). I have induced plenty of garlic in this curry to add more flavor. This is one of the most common dish in my hometown (Tuticorin). Also you can attempt this recipe, when there few prawns with you.
Do check out my seafood recipes in this link: https://madraasi.com/main-course/non-vegetarian/seafood/.
A perfect combination with steamed rice as lunch. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Vazhaikkai / Plantain – 1 no
- Prawns / Shrimps – ¼ kg
- Onions – 2 nos
- Tomato – 1 no
- Garlic – 10 cloves
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – 2 ¼ tsp
- Methi / Fenugreek / Vendayam seeds – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Chili powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Coconut (grated) – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Clean the prawns and keep it aside.
- Peel and chop the plantain / Vazhaikai into cubes (medium size) and soak them in water to avoid decolorising.
- Peel and finely chop the onions and garlic, also finely chop the tomatoes into pieces.
- Grind coconut and 2 tsp of cumin seeds to a fine paste by adding little water.
- Heat oil in a kadhai, add in the mustard, methi and leftover cumin seeds and curry leaves, wait until they crackle.
- Add in the onions and garlic, cook until the onions turn golden brown.
- Add in the tomatoes and cook until the turn mushy.
- Add in the plantain/vazhaikai along with turmeric, chili, coriander, cumin powder, ground coconut masala and salt. Cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in a cup of water, cover and let the plantain get cooked.
- Remove the lid when the plantain is almost done, add in the prawns, give a stir and cover with lid, until the prawns are cooked.
- Remove the lid when the prawns are cooked, and keep in low flame, until it comes to the semi-thick consistency.
Serve hot with steamed rice.
Prawns with Valakaai must be delicious but very new to me..
Give a try Swapna
Will do for sure ,Deepa…