Milk Poli is one among the festive recipe which is simple, easy and delicious. It stays fresh for a day, so prepare only the quantity you require. In case when it’s leftover, this can also be refrigerated for a day, bring it room temperature and slightly heat them before you serve. A perfect sweet Diwali and RakshaBandhan to decorate the plate.
Let us move on to the recipe…
It’s Friday, I am taking it to Fiesta Friday #88 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
- Maida / All-purpose flour – 1 cup
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Water – as required
- Oil – for deep frying
- Milk – ½ litre
- Coconut (grated) – 1 cup
- Sugar – 5 tbsp
- Food colour (red, yellow, green) – a pinch
- Saffron strands – few strands
- Take the all-purpose flour/maida along with salt and mix it well, pour in water little by little and start kneading the flour, roll it a ball.
- Pour in 3 tsp of oil, knead it again and roll it to a ball.
- Take small portions of the dough, roll it to small balls, flatten then with the rolling pin, and keep it aside. Cut them to desired shape if required.
- Meanwhile boil the milk, add in sugar and keep in medium flame until it reduces to half the quantity. Remove from fire and let it cool down.
- Heat oil the kadai for deep frying, gently drop the flatten poli one by one and swap the sides and fry them until golden brown.
- Drain the oil, soak the poli in the milk for few seconds and remove it to a plate (continue this with all the poli).
- Heat a tbsp. of ghee/clarified butter in a kadhai, add in the grated coconut and cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Transfer only the grated coconut to a plate, divide them to three portions, sprinkle the food color, powdered sugar over them and mix it well with your hands.
- Keep the leftover milk in low flame and let it reduce in quantity and thicken to a paste.
- Arrange all the poli’s in a plate, sprinkle the colored grated coconut, saffron strands and finally drizzle the thicken milk over it.
Do check out my Jeera Poli recipe in this link: https://madraasi.com/2015/08/30/jeera-poli/.
Do check out my other sweet recipes in this link: https://madraasi.com/recipes/snacks/