As Navarthiri is on its way thought of trying sundal recipes, I never heard of this Blackgram sundal as its something new to me, my hubby discussed me about this Blackgram, as my MIL use to prepare this very often because of its health benefits and so now I too thought of preparing this Sundal. Usually Thursdays are more special to me as a SAI BABA devotee and I prepare any one of the Sundal variety, take it to temple, offer to God and then have it.
Blackgram Sundal was good and delicious, but when it comes to kids you can serve them with Crushed Coconut Jaggery (Vellam) or Sugar. They would love this combination.
Health Benefits of Blackgram: It is basically a health booster, which helps in improving the immune system. It helps in retaining a healthy Digestive system and keeps the bowel movements proper because of its rich source in Fiber. It helps in reducing cholesterol level, which maintains the sugar level in the Blood and helps in Diabetes. It enhances the milk flow in lactating women. It also has an Anti-aging property helping to get a fair and clawless skin, also acts as Vitalizer for proper hair growth.
Do check out my other Sundal / Fried Dal recipes in this link: https://madraasi.com/recipes/breakfast-dinner/.
Let us move on to the recipe…
- Ulundam Paruppu / Black Lentil / Urad dal (Whole Black) – 1 cup
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split Blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Red chilies – 3 nos
- Salt to taste
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Pressure-cook the black lentil / Ulundu / Urad dal in water for 5 whistles.
- Remove the lid, when the pressure subsides, drain the water and keep the lentil aside.
- Heat oil in a kadhai, add in the mustard seeds, split blackgram, red chilies and curry leaves. Wait until they crackle.
- Add in the black lentil / ulundu / black gram and sprinkle salt over it and cook in medium flame for a min.
- Add in the grated coconut and cook in low flame, until the raw smell goes off.
Serve hot. This goes out well as breakfast or as a tea-time snack, you can also sprinkle little crushed Coconut jaggery/sugar/brown sugar and serve.