Already I have shared few liver recipes (stir-fry) and now this one is a curry recipe which can be served as a main dish for steamed rice along with rasam and boiled egg or omelette.
My aunty use to prepare this very often at home, mostly on Wednesdays we could find this Mutton liver curry at her home. I love this curry, but for almost a long time I forget this curry and today morning when I found mutton liver lying in my refrigerator, planned to prepare this recipe.
It is a simple, delicious, and healthy and consumes less time to prepare. Let us move on to the recipe…
Do check out my other Lamb/Mutton recipes in this link: https://madraasi.com/main-course/non-vegetarian/lamb-mutton/
- Mutton Liver – 250 gm
- Onions – 2 nos (medium size)
- Cumin seeds – 1 ¼ tsp
- Peppercorns – 1 ½ tsp
- Coconut – 30 gm
- Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Fenugreeek seeds – ¼ tsp
- Ginger-garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Clean the liver and chop them to small pieces.
- Peel and finely chop the onions.
- Grind coconut pieces, 1 tsp of peppercorns and 1 tsp of cumin seeds together to a fine paste by adding little water.
- Heat oil in a pressure-cooker, add in the mustard, fenugreek, ¼ tsp of cumin seeds and curry leaves and wait until they crackle.
- Add in the onions and ginger-garlic, cook until the onion turns golden brown.
- Pour in the coconut paste and cook until the oil separates and floats on the top.
- Add in the chopped liver pieces followed by red chili powder and salt, cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in a cup of water, bring it to boil and pressure-cook for a whistle.
- Remove the lid when the pressure subsides, keep on medium flame until it reaches the curry consistency.
Serve hot with steamed rice for lunch and goes out well with Idly or Dosa for breakfast.
I first had lamb liver when I lived in India – it was also curried. I loved it. I am happy to have a new and authentic recipe for a dish that brings back so many memories of our time in Delhi. Now to find some good quality lamb’s liver!