As I have shared many payasam/kheer recipes and now this one entering the list. I love to try out dishes with ragi as it’s been my family’s favorite including my kids. Thought of trying out some different payasam, and tried out with ragi.
Ragi payasam is very simple and easy to prepare, but it consumes little more time and tastes delicious with wonderful aroma, on other hand it is very healthy and good for kids. Give a try and have a different payasam/kheer. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Ragi/Fingermillet Flour – 3 tbsp
- Water – ½ litre
- Milk – ¼ litre
- Jaggery syrup – ½ cup or Crushed Jaggery – 1/2 cup (as per your sweet tooth)
- Ghee/Clarified butter – 1 ½ tbsp
- Cashewnuts – 10 nos
- Raisins – 10 nos
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, take ragi flour and pour in the water, mix it well so that no lumos should be formed.
- Keep the vessel in medium flame and keep on stirring until it gives a glassy appearance and becomes thick.
- Pour in the milk and keep on stirring so that lumps are formed. Keep in medium flame until it thickens.
- Sprinkle cardamom powder, salt and pour in the jaggery syrup, stir well and let it boil.
- Heat ghee/clarified butter in a small pan, add in the cashew nuts and roast until it starts turning golden brown.
- Add in the raisins and roast until it doubles in size.
- Pour it to the kheer, give a mix and let it boil until the ghee/clarified butter gets blend well with the kheer.
Serve hot as a dessert for lunch with a vegetarian meals.
Note: You can also substitute Jaggery syrup with Crushed Jaggery (jaggery powder).
Do check out my other payasam/kheer collections in this link: https://madraasi.com/2015/08/27/payasam-kheer-collection/.