Mysore pak is one of my all-time favorite for almost 12 years. The first time my love born towards MYSORE PAK was due to my mother-in-law, as she use to get me mysore pak from a shop – “Velayudha Nadar Sweet Stall” from Sivakasi (my hubby’s hometown). No words for its taste, it melts in mouth like anything. I thought preparing Mysore pak is a toughest job, but recently when I saw few of my fellow bloggers posting Mysore pak recipe, I too wanted to try it.
Finally today I tried it and the result was a heavenly mysore pak in my first attempt. It took just 20 minutes prepare. Happy I made a new and my favorite sweet this Diwali. It was very easy to make and I bet everyone could make it. Let us move on to the recipe…
Do check out my other Diwali snacks (sweets and savories) in this link: https://madraasi.com/2015/11/03/deepavali-diwali-sweets-and-savories/.
- Besan / Bengal gram flour – 1 ½ cups
- Sugar – 1 ½ cups
- Ghee / Clarified Butter – 1 ½ cups
- Water – ¼ cup + 2 tbsp.
- Sieve the besan / bengal gram flour and keep it aside.
- Roast besan flour with a tsp of ghee/clarified butter, until the raw smell goes off (be careful it should not be burnt).
- Take 1 cup of ghee/clarified butter in a bowl, add in the roasted besan little by little and mix it well with the ghee/clarified butter (Be sure no lumps should be formed). Keep it aside, until the sugar syrup is ready.
- Grease a tray with ghee and keep it aside/
- In a non-stick vessel, take sugar and water, let it boil, stir once in a while and wait until it reaches one string consistency.
- Pour in the ghee + besan flour mixture, start stirring and keep in medium flame.
- Keep on stirring continuously, else lumps would be formed.
- When the mixture begins to thicken, pour in ½ cup of ghee/clarified butter, little by little along the sides and continue stirring.
- Stir until it starts leaving the sides of the vessel and comes to the rolling consistency.
- Transfer the mysore pak to the greased tray and level it with a spoon.
- Leave aside for 10 mins, let it get set, cut it to diamond or square or rectangle shape as you wish.
- Take it out after 20 mins and store it in an air-tight container.
Yummy Mysore Pak is ready.
Note: Pour in the ghee + besan flour mixture only after you get one string consistency in sugar syrup, also at the final stage besan flour should come to rolling consistency. These two stages are very important else the mysore pak will become hard. Cook in low flame, once you add the mysore pak + Ghee/Clarified butter mixture.