I was about to prepare Rasgulla for Diwali and when my daughter asked me why don’t you prepare Rasmalai. I thought really it was good idea, as rasgulla and rasmalai is not so far. Hunted many recipes for Rasmalai, finally was about to prepare.
My first try, but it turned out soft, fluffy and yummy. Let us move on to the recipe…
Do check out my other Diwali/Deepavali recipes in this link: https://madraasi.com/2015/11/03/deepavali-diwali-sweets-and-savories/ and do check out my sweets recipe in this link: https://madraasi.com/recipes/snacks/.
- Rasgulla – 10 nos (homemade or store bought)
- Milk – 3 cups
- Sugar – 3 tbsp
- Almonds/Badam – 10 nos
- Pista/Pistachios – 10 nos
- Saffron – few strands
- Kewra or Rose essence – ½ tsp
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
- I used homemade rasgulla (while preparing rasgulla, just like that I have flatten the paneer balls and then cooked).
- Soak almond/badam and pistachios in a hot water for 20 mins, peel off the skin and reserve 3 nos of almonds and pistachios for garnish.
- Grind those (almond/badam and pista) with ½ cup of milk to a paste (fine or coarse as you prefer).
- Boil milk along with few strands of saffron in a non-stick pan, simmer the flame and let it thicken.
- Pour in the grounded mixture to the milk along with sugar and cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Scrape the sides of the vessel with a spoon and drop in the scraped milk and continue boiling.
- Pour in the rose/kewra essence, sprinkle cardamom powder and cook until the milk thickens.
- Gently drop the rasgullas and cook in medium flame for 10 mins.
- Switch of the flame and transfer it to a bowl.
Note: You can adjust the consistency of rasmalai by adding more almond and pistachios paste when you need it thick else add only few quantity when you need a thin rasmalai. You can also use round shaped rasgulla and if you want to flatten the store bought once, gently flatten the rasgulla and gently drop them to the boiling milk.
Do check out my homemade rasgulla recipe in this link: https://madraasi.com/2015/09/27/rasagulla/.