As of winter and heavy pouring here in Bangalore, I was craving for something non-veg thick gravy to accompany chapathi for dinner. I was searching my refrigerator for ingredients and found out some chicken pieces. Also this was 2 days after Diwali, so had some leftover mint, coriander leaves and then few flavored spices. So I started preparing gravy with all these…
I would say the gravy was very delicious, aromatic and its texture was too good. A perfect dish for chapathi especially for winter or rainy day. Let us move on to the recipe…
Do check out my other chicken recipes in this link: https://madraasi.com/main-course/non-vegetarian/poultry/.
- Chicken – ½ kg
- Onions – 4 nos (medim size)
- Coriander and mint leaves – a fistful
- Red chili powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Cloves – 3 nos
- Cardamom – 2 nos
- Star Anise – 2 nos
- Cinnamon stick – 2 nos (1 “inch stick)
- Curd/Yogurt – 2 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 8 nos
- Salt to taste
- Clean the chicken pieces. Soak the cashew nuts in a cup of water for 10 mins.
- Peel and finely chop the onions, wash and finely chop the coriander and mint leaves.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add in all the flavored spices (cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and star anise) and wait until they crackle.
- Grind the cashew nuts along with the water to a fine paste and keep it aside.
- Add in the onions, along with ginger-garlic paste and cook until the onions turns golden brown or until the raw smell goes off.
- Add in the coriander and mint leaves and cook until they turn dark green in color.
- Add in the turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder and cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Add in the chicken along with salt, and cook for few mins.
- Pour in the curd/yogurt and cook until the raw smell goes off. Pour in a cup of water, cover with lid and cook until the chicken is done.
- Pour in the ground cashew paste and cook in medium flame for 5 mins.
- Remove from fire and when the gravy starts thickening.
Serve hot with Chapathi or any Indian Breads.