I have already shared few chettinad recipes and now this one is completely different as I have prepared with a handy masala, which was prepared by me and stored at home.
As we live a mechanical life, we want everything to be done fast, easy and simple. When it comes to chettinad dish, it sounds good with delicious flavor and wonderful aroma. When it comes to food, there is a specific time of cooking for each and every dish. I thought of preparing the chettinad masala in less time and so prepared Chettinad Masala. Later on prepared this fish curry using the masala, it was yummy, delicious and flavorful. Let us move on to the recipe…
Do check out my other seafood recipes in this link: https://madraasi.com/main-course/non-vegetarian/seafood/ and check out this link for chettinad masala: https://madraasi.com/2016/03/18/chettinad-masala/.
- Sea Bass – ½ kg
- Onions – 2 nos (big)
- Tomato – 2 nos (medium size)
- Garlic – 10 cloves
- Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Chettinad Masala – 4 tsp
- Tamarind – a lemon size
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Fenugreek/Vendhayam/Methi seeds – a pinch
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Clean and slice the fish into pieces, keep it aside.
- Peel and finely chop the onions, garlic and tomato into pieces and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add in the mustard, fenugreek, cumin seeds wait until they crackle.
- Prepare Tamarind extract and keep it aside.
- Add in the curry leaves and wait until they crackle.
- Add in the onions, garlic and cook until they turn golden brown.
- Add in the tomatoes and cook until they turn mushy.
- Add in chili powder, 2 tsp of chettinad masala, salt and turmeric powder, cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in a cup of water along with the tamarind extract, cover and allow it to boil.
- Drop the fish pieces gently one by one, when it’s starts boiling.
- Sprinkle 2 tsp of chettinad masala, salt if needed, cover and cook until the fish is done.
- Remove the lid and keep in medium flame until the curry thickens.
- Now keep in low flame, until the oil floats on the top of the curry.
Serve hot. Goes out well with steamed rice and spinach stir-fry or mashed spinach.