Holi is a spring festival in Nepal and India, also known as the festival of colors or the festival of sharing love. It falls somewhere between end of February and Mid of March in the Gregorian Calendar. Holi celebrations start on the night before Holi with a Holika bonfire where people gather sing, dance and party. The next morning is celebrated as Rangwali Holi – a free for all carnival of colors, where participants play, chase and color each other with dry powder and colored water, with some carrying water guns and coloured water-filled ballons for their water fight.
The evening after sobering up, people dress up and visit friends and family by sharing Holi delicacies, food and drinks.
Above details collected from Wikipedia.
As holi is nearing I could everywhere people blogging about Holi, also I could see the waterguns and color powder along the roads, also my kids started their purchase for the waterguns and were getting ready for Holi.
I was discussing with my daughter, “we need to make a sweet which is colorful for Holi and let you give me some suggestion”, there comes my son (Doughnut maniac) – he asks me, “Mom why don’t you make Doughnuts. I told him we need to try some authentic sweets, he asks me, “Whatever you prepare it doesn’t matter, only we are going to eat, so why don’t you prepare doughnuts, do colorful coating on doughnuts – A colorful sweet is ready for holi”. Here comes my idea to prepare doughnuts for Holi.
I was little doubtful while preparing doughnuts, about it results, but it came out good. It was too delicious, but I and my hubby got to have two pieces, rest all was over with my kids. Happy me. So give a try to this recipe, as vacation is about to start and enjoy with your world (kids). Let us move on to the recipe…
- All-purpose flour – 2 ½ cups
- Dry yeast – 1 ½ tsp
- Butter – 3 tbsp
- Milk – ½ cup
- Sugar – 4 tbsp
- Egg – 1 no (large)
- Salt a pinch
- Sugar syrup – 2 cup
- Take ¼ cup of milk, add in the yeast, wait for 5 mins, the milk would turn pale white in color with good frothing. (Sorry I missed to click the picture of frothing, soon will update it).
- Melt the butter and keep it aside/
- Take flour, salt, butter, sugar, yeast mix and break in the egg, mix well with your fingers, as it should remain to the crumble consistency.
- Add in the milk little by little at regular intervals, start mixing gently with fingers, and roll it to a ball.
- Now start kneading the dough for almost 10 to 20 mins.
- Now flatten the dough with rolling pin in your work area, and cut them into round shape and make a small round cut in the center of that disk.
- Grease a tray with oil or butter, gently drop the disk with sufficient space in between them and cover it with cling film.
- Let it rest for an hour, in between don’t relocate or shake or disturb the tray. After an hour, you see the dough getting double the size.
- Heat oil in pan (oil should not be too hot, as it will get burned in minutes), take the tray, remove the cling film, and gently drop the doughnuts one by one and start frying.
- Swap the sides and deep fry them until they turn golden brown).
- Dip it in the sugar syrup and top with the flavor or ingredients you desire or dip them in the melted chocolate.
Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Do check out my other snack recipes in this link: https://madraasi.com/recipes/snacks/.