Recently I heard through one of my friend about mustard, mustard sauce, mustard oil, mustard spinach and she told me everything will be heavenly. She wanted me to try out something with mustard, I too surfed for recipes, and after getting to read few of the mustard recipes, thought of cooking fish with mustard sauce.
I wonder how did I miss cooking with mustard, the aroma that I get when I prepared mustard paste was very excellent and when I started cooking with fish, the aroma filled the whole house, which pulled everyone into the kitchen and the kids wanted to know what I am cooking.
Health Benefits of Mustard: Mustard helps to prevent cancer, effective in treating psoriasis, aids in managing diabetes and cholesterol levels and helps reduce risk of osteoporosis in menoupausal women. Now let me share the recipe…
Do check out my other fish recipes in this link: https://madraasi.com/main-course/non-vegetarian/seafood/and check out this link for MUSTARD paste: https://madraasi.com/2016/03/31/mustard-paste/
- Fish – 500 gm
- Mustard paste – 4 tbsp
- Yogurt/curd – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds (Black) – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprig
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice – 2 tsp
- Mustard oil – 1 tbsp.
- Take 2 tbsp of mustard paste, along with lemon juice, ½ tsp of turmeric powder and salt, mix all these together to a semi paste.
- Clean and slice the fish into pieces, rub the fish with the paste and marinade for 20 to 30 mins.
- Heat 2 tsp of mustard oil in a pan and fry the fish pieces in batches, until they turn golden brown.
- Drain the oil and remove the fish pieces. Keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of mustard oil in a pan, add in the mustard seeds along with the curry leaves, and wait until they crackle.
- Add in the mustard paste, turmeric powder with little salt, cook for 5 mins, until it turns golden yellow in color.
- Pour in the yogurt/curd along with ¼ cup of water, cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Add in the fish pieces and cook in low flame, until the oil separates and floats on the top.
- Remove from fire.
Serve hot with steamed rice or Indian breads. Garnish with mustard leaves or coriander leaves.
Note: You can also pour the gravy over the fish fry, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.