Nungu / Ice-Apple is a seasonal fruit available only on summers. I use to have nungu after peeling their skin during my childhood. There is one such sweet memory from my childhood, most of the times I and my cousin use pierce a hole and drink the water from all the nungu and keep it as such in the place and move out as we never did anything. But finally one day we were caught red handed and got nicely from the whole family (cousins). After that whenever we get nungu in home, my mom and aunty use to force everyone will have the nungu and as we can’t look into it everytime 😛 remembering such a sweet moment when the great day April 10th is about to knock again in my life.
As me my kids also likes to have only the water, but as of summer and know after realizing the health benefits of nungu as a super coolant, I want to make them consume. Last year I have tried out few recipes like Nungu payasam, crumbled Ice-Apple, Nungu Milkshake and now this time it’s been MOUSSE. This is my first attempt with mousse and so happy I have tried it out with Nungu/Ice-Apple/Toddy Palm, I got to try two versions and both of them was a super dooper hit with my kids.
A very easy, simple but very healthy and perfect coolant recipe for this Hot Hot Boiling Indian Summers, give a try and enjoy the summer. Let me share the recipe of PISTA ICE-APPLE MOUSSE…
As it’s Friday, sharing my happiness by partying with my all time favorite Fiesta Friday #114 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
For more summer recipes, do check out this link: https://madraasi.com/2016/04/07/summer-recipes-chill-chill-cool-cool/
- Pistachios (unsalted) – 15 nos
- Saffron – few strands
- Milk – 2 cups
- Nungu / Ice-Apple – 3 nos (medium ones are preferred neither soft nor too hard)
- Sugar – 3 tsp
- Gelatin – 2 tsp
- Whipped cream – 3 tbsp.
- Soak pistachios in warm water for 20 mins or leave them in boiling water for 15 mins.
- Drain the water, bring it to room temperature, peel the skin and keep it aside.
- Peel the skin and chop the pistachios into fine pieces.
- Roughly chop the nungu into pieces, blend these nungu pieces along with a cup of milk to a fine paste, keep it aside.
- Boil a cup of milk, add in ¾ th portion of pistachios along with 3 tsp of sugar and few strands of saffron for 2 mins or until the milk starts turning in colour.
- Remove from fire and wait until it the milk reaches the luke warm texture, now add in 2 tsp of gelatin and stir well, so that it would get dissolved (be sure no lumps should be formed).
- Now pour in this pistachio milk to the blender along with the nungu paste and blend for a min or just whip it.
- Beat the whipped cream well.
- Take a glass, pour nungu mixture to half the quantity of glass then fill the rest of the glass with whipped cream.
- Top it with the finely sliced pistachios and few strands of saffron.
- Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hrs and serve chilled.