Baingan Bharta is a vegetarian dish prepared by mashing the smoked Aubergine, later cook with onions, tomatoes and few spice powders. Baingan Bharta is a north cuisine and also being most common in Pakistan and Bangladesh cuisine. Recently I got to see this Baingan bharta in my whatsapp, and right from that day I was longing for Baingain Bharta.
My hubby never has or have or had Baingain and Brinjal except two dishes made from Baingan. And so was wondering when to cook, it was today my hubby never took lunch from home and so made Baingan Bharta.
It was heavenly with a little smoked aroma which adds more kick to the dish. Let us move on to the recipe…
For my other vegetarian recipes, click here.
- Baingan / Aubergine – 1 no (big)
- Onions – 1 ½ nos (big sized)
- Tomato – 1 no (medium)
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil – 1 tbsp.
- Lit the stove and carefully place the baingan over the fire. Turn the baingan, and show them in fire. Let it get smoked all over.
- Show them in fire, until the skin of baingan starts cracking.
- Remove the baingan from fire, gently soak it to the water (room temperature).
- Wait until it reaches room temperature, peel of the skin.
- Transfer the baingan to a plate, start mashing them all together.
- Peel and finely chop the onions and tomatoes, keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add in the mustard seeds, split Blackgram and curry leaves. Wait until they crackle.
- Add in the onions and cook until they turn golden brown.
- Add in the tomatoes and cook until they turn mushy.
- Add in the spice powders along with salt and cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Add in the mashed baingan, stir well and cook in medium flame, until the baingan gets well blended with the masala, sprinkle salt if required.
- Cook until the oil separates along the sides of the gravy.
- Transfer it to a bowl.
Serve hot. Goes out well with any Indian flat Breads, variety rice and so on.
My all time fav… I can eat it in my slp too… Thanks for sharing 🙂
Hahaaa First time I prepared n tasted. Got to see few of frnds uploading the pics in our whatsapp grup, the picture of smoked aubergine pulled me ☺