My love for Appam and Idiyappam (Stringhopper) never ends, these dishes tastes heavenly when served with Stew – Chicken Stew, Vegetable Stew, Coconut milk and Lamb Paya (leg curry). Mostly I prefer with chicken stew or lamb paya, but when a vegetarian comes to home, definitely no way, have to proceed with vegetarian curry and so decided to prepare Veg Stew accompanied with appam.
I never expected that Veg stew would be as equal to that of chicken stew, liked the flavors, color and texture of it. A best recommend for kids from my side, as this dish has no oil and it’s good for a year old babies. Let me share the recipe…
- Onions – 1 no
- Carrot – 1 no
- Cauliflower – florets (a cup)
- French Beans – 6 nos
- Green peas – a handful
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Cumin powder – ½ tsp
- Ginger paste – 2 tsp
- Green chillies – 1 nos
- Cinnamon – 1 no (1 inch stick)
- Cardamom – 2 nos
- Cloves – 2 nos
- Star Anise – 2 nos
- Coconut milk (thick) – 3 cups
- Salt to taste
- Cashew nuts – 6 nos
- Coconut Oil – 1 ½ tbsp
- Peel and finely chop the onions and garlic, keep it aside.
- Peel and chop the carrots and French beans (lengthwise) and keep it aside.
- Separate the cauliflower florets into medium size.
- Halve (lengthwise) the green chillies into two pieces. Blend the cashew nuts along with ¼ cup of water to a fine paste and keep it aside.
- Heat the coconut oil in a heavy bottomed kadai, add in the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, star anise and cook for few mins.
- Add in the onions and garlic, cook until they turn golden brown.
- Add in the ginger paste and green chillies, cook for few mins until the raw smell goes off.
- Add in the vegetables along with the cumin powder and salt, cook for few mins or until the vegetables turn their color.
- Pour in the coconut milk along with a cup of water, cover with the lid and allow it boil.
- Pour in the cashew paste once the vegetables are cooked, cook in medium flame, until the gravy thickens and the oil floats on the top.
For my other breakfast and dinner recipes, click here.