Umm Ali is a traditional Eygptian Dessert, made with pastry and cream. I had this almost 3 years back, prepared by a friend of mine, that time we made Umm Ali with croissants.
Today when I opened the refrigerator for water with splitting Migraine, found filo sheets lying in the refrigerator. Thought of engaging me with passion, so that I could get little relief from Migraine. Had little doubt whether I could prepare Umm Ali with the Filo sheets, but planned to bake it with confidence.
Umm Ali was delicious, perfectly done with layers of milk, cream and nuts. It was over in seconds, finally got to grab a portion for my bestie. A perfect simple, easy and heavenly dessert for this Ramadan, give a try…
Yippee, it’s Friday – taking it to the Fiesta Friday #125 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Serves: 6 nos
- Filo Sheets / Puff Pastry – 10 nos
- Milk – ¼ litre + 2 tbsp
- Fresh Cream – 100 gm
- Pistachios / Pista – 15 nos
- Cashew nuts – 6 nos
- Badam / Almond – 10 nos
- Butter – 3 tbsp
- Sugar – 7 tbsp.
- Dessicated Coconut – 3 tbsp.
- Boil 2 cups of water, add in the pistachios and almonds and boil for 10 mins. Remove from fire, drain the water, and soak them in tap water for 5 mins.
- Peel the skin and keep the almonds and pistachios aside. Thinly chop (lengthwise) the peeled nuts and keep it aside.
- Melt the butter and keep it aside.
- Take an aluminium tray and grease the tray with butter on all the sides. Place a filo sheet and rub it with butter and then place the sheet over it, rub with butter and continue the same process for all the filo sheets.
- Preheat the oven to 18o degree c.
- Meanwhile boil the milk with 2 tbsp of sugar, cook in medium flame for 15 mins or until they reduce to half the quantity.
- Bake the layered filo sheets at 180 degree C for almost 5 mins or until they start turning golden brown to the top.
- Remove the tray from the microwave, break the filo sheets with a spoon and bring the bottom filo sheet to the top and bake for another 2 mins.
- Take the fresh cream in a bowl with 3 tbsp of sugar and beat it well until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove the tray from the microwave and pour in the milk over the baked filo sheets.
- Sprinkle half the amount of chopped nuts and crushed cashew nuts over the milk.
- Pour in the beaten cream over the nuts and sprinkle with the leftover nuts.
- Sprinkle dessicated coconut or grated coconut or coconut powder over the nuts.
- Bake at 180 degree C for 10 min or until the top turns golden brown in color.
Serve at room temperature by sprinkle few nuts or bring to room temperature, refrigerate for an hour and serve chilled. Also this goes out well when topped with vanilla flavored Ice Cream.
For more Dessert recipes, Click here.