Vegetable kurma is one of the most common food served with Idly, Poori, dosa, parotta, paratha, chapathi in south India. Kurma can be prepared with mixed vegetables, chicken and meat. We use curd/yogurt for Vegetable Kurma for the tangy flavor, but I have substituted tomatoes for curd. This is a quick and easy to prepare, as I have used coconut milk instead of grounded coconut masala. You can extract coconut milk at home, but due to my laziness I used the store bought one. Let me share the recipe…
- Carrot – 1 no
- Onion – 1 no
- Tomato – 1 ½ nos
- Cauliflower – 2 handfuls of florets
- Green peas – a handful
- French beans – a handful
- Chilli powder – 1 tp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Ginger-Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Coriander and mint leaves – a handfull
- Flavored spices (cinnamon – 1 no, cloves – 3 nos, cardamom – 1 no and star anise 1 no)
- Peel and finely cube the carrot, chop the onions, tomatoes and French beans, make small florets of cauliflower.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add in the flavored spices and wait until they crackle.
- Add in the ¾ th portion of finely chopped coriander and mint leaves.
- Add in the onions, ginger-garlic paste and cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Add in the tomatoes and cook until they turn mushy.
- Add in the vegetables all together followed by turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt. Cook for few mins or until the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in a cup water, cover and cook, until the vegetables are boiled.
- Remove the lid, when the vegetables are cooked, pour in the coconut milk and cook in medium flame for another 5 mins or until the kurma thickens and the oil starts floating on the top.
- Garnish with the leftover coriander and mint leaves.
Serve hot. Goes out well with chapathi, poori, Idly, appam, dosa and string hoppers. For more vegetarian curries, gravies and side dish recipes – CLICK HERE.
Do check out my other kurma – Chicken kurma, Carrot and Chow-chow Kurma.
The long wait day has come – Yes MADRAASI going LIVE globally from MADRAASI Kitchen and this show is to be live telecasted all over the supermarkets of “MORRISTOWN” in U.S. This program is done for Charity, especially for kids who are in need for food, education and shelter. Proud that MADRAASI have been selected for one such reason, and I always love to contribute things possible by me, for kids as they are our future generation.
Madraasi getting Live
Thanks a lot to EXPO MILANO 2015, who picked me up for their recipe contribution, almost for a year of 2015 I have been contributing my recipes. The journey was not that easy with too many rejections, then corrections and submissions. But I learnt so many things from this, like the exact English word for the ingredients, enhanced my photo skills, interacting with many people and so on. Also I have been the top contributor of India and one among them globally.
Recipes to be taught today –
- Tapioca Pearls Kheer / Javvarsi Payasam – Click here.
- Vermicelli Kheer / Semiya Payasam – Click here.
EXPO MILANO 2015 being the source which got me selected with Kitchen Connection and the one and only source for today’s live program. I have been working on this for almost 6 months, too many live sections by testing the connection and interacting with the team. After all such things, now MADRAASI getting Live from MADRAASI Kitchen in INDIA, people in U.S can watch the live show in all the MORRISTOWN supermarkets by 10.30 p.m INDIAN TIME.
Video recipes –
I can’t say just in a word, “Thanks KITCHEN CONNECTION” but will sure give my best. My Heartiest thanks to Kitchen Connection for selecting me and been a big motivation to start my YOUTUBE Channel.
There is a moment, not only me but everyone needs – nothing but the encouragement, support and appreciation towards one’s work, nothing equals to that. Amidst of chaos, here comes a very supportive, encouragement and a creative, unique and most memorable work from the Executive chef – “Anthony En Yuan Huarig” of JW Mariott with “THE CHEFPOST” team on their Pre-launch held at BBC (Bengaluru Baking Co), JW Marriott Hotel Bengaluru.
Personalised Edible (Chocolate) Photo of MADRAASI
Stay tuned to know what “THE CHEFPOST” is all about and how it works, which evolved from the brains of a beauty – Sneha Chandrashekar. Thanks a lot for the invite and making it more memorable in my life with a PERSONALISED EDIBLE (CHOCOLATE) PHOTO. I was dumbstruck with the lines – “the beautiful tamilian tales”, which echoed the actual meaning of my blog. Madraasi is humbly honoured.
Wish the team “THE CHEF POST” all the success and to reach all over the world.