Rava upma is one of the simplest, easiest and tasty breakfast dish of South Indians. Kids love to have this, because of its sweetness. When we need it to be spicy it can be served with chutney. Its an authentic and traditional dish of south Indians.
- Rava/Semolina – 1 cup
- Water – 3 cups
- Green chilli – 1 nos
- Mustard – ¼ tsp
- Split Blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Bengal gram – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – a strand
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Onion – ½ nos
Making of Rava upma –
- Heat a tsp of ghee/clarified butter in a kadai, add the rava/semolina and roast until it starts turning golden brown.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard, black gram, bengal gram, curry leaves.
- When it starts crackle, add onions and green chilies. Then stir gently. Wait till it turns golden brown.
- Now pour the water, bring it to boil.
- Add salt. Stir gently.
- Now add rava, stir gently every now and then, otherwise lumps will be formed.
- When the water evaporates, pour ghee to it and stir it continuously for about 5 minutes.
Serve hot with sugar or chutney.
For chutney recipe, refer this link: https://madraasi.com/2014/03/31/chutney/
CLICK HERE for more breakfast recipes.