After a tour and being very tired, also was sick. Thought to prepare something for the Independence Day – August 15th.
India is known for its “Unity in Diversity” – as there are many states, each and every states has too many classes of people and there differs everything from Food till the slang the language of based on the region. Still there exist unity apart from these Diversity through our National Flag, National Anthem, and most probably we are Indian wherever we go.
So took the concept of National Flag for the IFB Unity in Diversity contest. Kesari not only mine but also my families all time favorite dish, was taken into consideration. Made three colors of Kesari – Saffron using Saffron food color, Green using green food color, White without any color and then some fried Black raisins to represent the blue (chakra) of our National Flag.
Recipe for Kesari (Substitute food colors, during preparation)
- Rava/Semolina/Sooji – 1 cup
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Sugar – ¾ cup
- Cashew nuts – 10 nos
- Raisins – 10 nos
- Food Color (Red and Green) – ¼ tsp
- When you use non roasted rava, dry roast rava/semolina till it changes to golden brown colour and bring it to room temperature.
- Bring the water to boil in a kadai.
- Add the food colour (repeat this step for 3 times for the 3 colors), when the water starts boiling.
- Keep the flame in sim and add the rava/semolina little by little.
- Keep on stirring continuously to ensure that no lumps are formed.
- When almost ¾ th of water is evaporated, add the sugar and continue stirring.
- In a tadka, heat the ghee and add the cashewnuts and raisins. Fry till they turn golden brown.
- Pour it to the rava and keep on stirring by dropping the ghee along the sides of the dish.
- When it comes to consistency of getting rolled together in the kadai, Switch of the flame and transfer it to a bowl
Once prepared aasemble all the three colors kesari one by one in a square box and then tilt them to a plate, insert 2 to 3 fried Black raisins for the chakra.
Also loved to say something here – Independence is got after too many losses, but we are born lucky to be independent. But now there are too may issues, why not we all put little efforts to enjoy and make the nation more healthy. Happy Independence Day to all Indians.
For Kesari step by step pictorial recipe – Click here and for video recipe –