I have prepared Banana Flower Vada/Fritters, Poriyal/Stir-fry, Kulambu/Curry, but this thought of preparing something different and as a result here comes my Vazhaipoo Thuvaiyal / Banana Flower Chutney.
Banana flower chutney/thuvaiyal goes out well with Idly, Dosa, Curd rice or any Variety rice. Also this stays fresh for 2 days after preparation in room temperature and fresh for more than 2 weeks’ time when refrigerated. But never use a wet spoon and hands to the thuvaiyal, it would get spoiled.
Banana flower/Vazhaipoo is packed with loads of health benefits, but takes time to clean when you follow few tricks, you can make it easy. But when compared with the health benefits, it’s worth cleaning.
Health Benefits: It reduces pain and bleeding during menstruation. It reduces the blood sugar level and increases the hemoglobin content. Reduces anxiety and helps nursing mother. Let me share the recipe…
- Vazhaipoo/Banana flower – 1 no (medium sized)
- White lentil / Urad dal / Ulundam paruppu – 3 tbsp
- Tamarind – a small gooseberry size or Tamarind pulp – 1 tsp
- Dry red chillies – 7 nos
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Ginger – 1” inch stick (1 no)
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Split Black gram – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Sesame oil / Gingelly oil – 5 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Clean the Vazhaipoo/Banana flower and soak it in water for few mins (to avoid decolorisation).
- Pressure-cook for 2 whistles or boil banana flower in water with little salt.
- Drain the water, keep it aside. You can use this water while grinding this Banana flower.
- Heat a tawa, dry roast white lentil/urad dal/ulundam paruppu, tamarind, dry red chillies, ginger, and garlic until the white lentil turn golden brown.
- Add the pressure-cooked/boiled Vazhaipoo/banana flower and fry until they get dry.
- Remove it from fire, transfer it to a plate and Grind them to a fine paste by adding little water (leftover while boiling the banana flower).
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds, split black gram, curry leaves and wait until they crackle.
- Pour the ground banana flower paste, followed by salt and cook in medium flame by stirring it once in every minute.
- Cook for 8 to 10 mins or until the oil starts floating on the top and the color of the thuvaiyal starts turning little dark in color.
- Transfer to a bowl, leave it open until it comes to room temperature and then cover with the lid.
Note: Stays fresh for 2 days in room temperature and 2 weeks when refrigerated.