Makhane Ki Kheer / Phool Makhane ki Kheer is one of the perfect recipe for Navratri and also suitable for vrat. Makhana is also known as Lotus seeds or Fox nuts, this is available in all grocery shops. This is my first recipe with Makhana, it came out very well and also I liked the texture of the makhana and now wonder why I haven’t used this Makhana for long time.
Makhane Ki Kheer is a thick, creamy and delicious dessert with loads of health benefits. I liked each and every sip of the kheer, also I have flavored them with cashew nuts, pistachios and topped with few roasted makhana, which added more taste to the dessert with its crunchy texture.
Health benefits of Makhana / Puffed Lotus seeds / Fox nuts – It is low in fat and high in carbohydrates. They are also good source of protein, fibre and low in sodium. As they are rich in fibre content, they perfect suite the vrat recipes. They also helps people suffering from heart diseases and diabetes. Also they contain anti-ageing enzyme, which is believed to repair damages proteins. Let me share the recipe…
- Makhana / Phool Makhana / Fox nuts / Lotus seeds – 40 gm
- Full Fat Milk – 500 ml
- Sugar – 5 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 15 nos
- Pistachios – 10 nos
- Cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
- Ghee / Clarified butter – 1 ½ tbsp
- Saffron – few strands
Making of Makhane Ki Kheer / Phool Makhana / Lotus seeds Payasam / Fox nuts kheer –
- Soak the pistachios in water for 30 mins, peel the skin and chop them into pieces and keep it aside.
- Heat a tsp of ghee/clarified butter in a heavy bottomed vessel, add ¾ th portion of the makhana and cashew nuts.
- Roast them until they start turning golden brown.
- Meanwhile boil the milk in heavy bottomed vessel, once boiled add the cardamom powder and keep in low flame.
- Coarsely grind the roasted makhana and cashew nuts.
- Add it to the milk, stir well (make sure no lumps are formed).
- Add sugar when the kheer thickens.
- Meanwhile heat the leftover ghee/clarified butter in a vessel, add the leftover makhana, pistachios and cashew nuts.
- Roast them until they turn golden brown and pour half the quantity of it to the kheer, cook in low flame for few mins.
- Sprinkle saffron strands and remove from fire.
Serve hot or at room temperature. Top it with the reserved roasted makhana, cashewnuts and pistachios while you serve.