Usually we use to prepare soup with Mutton Markandam / Lamb Ribs, as it said to be healthy. But in my in-laws place (Sivakasi), they use to prepare curry with Lamb Ribs which would be more delicious and goes out well with steamed rice and dosa. Let me share the recipe…
For more Lamb/Mutton recipes (Gravy, Fry, Biryani, Pulav, Curry) – CLICK HERE.
- Mutton Markandam / Lamb Ribs – 500 gm
- Onions – 250 gm
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – 2 tbsp + ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Coriander seeds – 2 tbsp
- Red chillies – 7 nos
- Grated coconut – 4 tbsp
- Fennel seeds / Perunjeeragam – 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds / Vendayam – ¼ tsp
- Cinnamon – 1 no
- Star Anise – 1 no
- Cloves – 4 nos
- Ginger – 2 “inch stick – 1 piece
- Garlic – 7 cloves
- Sesame oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
Making of Mutton Markandam / Lamb Ribs Curry –
- Peel and finely chop the onions, keep it aside.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pressure-cooker, add the spices – red chillies, 2 tbsp of cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, cinnamon, star anise, cloves for few mins or until the raw smell goes off.
- Remove from fire, transfer it to a plate and bring it to room temperature.
- Heat oil in a pressure-cooker, add mustard and ¼ tsp of cumin seeds, curry leaves and wait until they crackle.
- Add onions and cook until they turn golden brown in color.
- Meanwhile grind the roasted spices with grated coconut, ginger and garlic to a fine paste by adding little water.
- Pour the grounded paste to the onions and cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Add the mutton markandam / lamb ribs followed by salt, and cook for few mins.
- Pour in a cup of water, let it boil and pressure-cook for 5 to 6 whistles.
- Remove the lid when the pressure releases, give a stir.
Serve hot with steamed rice, rasam and cabbage stir-fry or omelette.