From my childhood, I like horror movies, horror stories and horror adventures – almost 9 years back when we were at U.K I got to know about the Halloween Day. I liked the concept of the Halloween Day – people think it’s something more and more into a scary subject, but the belief and the purpose of the Halloween Day is pretty awesome. I do celebrate by preparing foods, few crafts with my kids and enjoy the day. This time as Halloween Day came next to Deepavali (festival of lights), I couldn’t make many arrangements. But we prepared few dishes, and my kids invited their friend’s for party and it was full of fun.
Now for almost 3 years as a food blogger, I believe creating a food based on some theme and on the other hand it should be loved by kids too, is my motive. When it comes to food, being a food blogger, I use to look for the taste, creativity and healthiness in the food, never mind whether it’s scary or so. When you say it’s for Halloween the food should either look scary or something related with the theme. Being passionate about things which I do, mostly makes me and my surrounding happy – I never mind about the culture, language, race, religion or so and so.
CLICK HERE for more Halloween recipes.
With the usual Halloween food, I also prepared a new dish by steaming rice flour and sugar infused with little food color. Kids loved it to the core. Let me share the recipe…
- Rice Flour – 1 cup
- Sugar – ¼ cup
- Food color (orange and green) – each ¼ tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Cloves – 15 nos
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Boil 2 cups of water in a sauce pan, it should bubble up.
- Take the rice flour in a wide mouth bowl, add the rice flour, salt, sugar and pour the boiled water little by little and mix it with ladle.
- When the flour mixture comes to bearable heat, knead it to a dough and divide it to two portions.
- Mix food color with a tsp of water (each separately).
- Pour orange mixture to one portion and green mixture to the other portion. Knead it well.
- Let it rest for 10 mins, if the dough is loose, add little rice flour and knead it well.
- Grease your palm and finger with oil, take a small portion of the orange dough roll it to ball, make lines with fork.
- Insert a clove in the top of the ball, it looks like pumpkin. Continue the small with the leftover orange dough and steam them for 10 mins.
- Take a small portion of the green dough and shape it to a leaf or use a leaf cutter, cut the dough and steam them for 10 mins.
Serve the Pumpkin balls along with Leaves.
Deepa loved these spooky ones! Me too love Halloween with the pumpkin carvings👻👾
Thanks Sumith 🙂 Hope you had a good Halloween Day, saw your pumpkin cravings, liked it. I don’t have that much patience :). You are such a talented.
Thank you Deepa. We had a great halloween kids really enjoyed it.
Ahh what a awesome Halloween recipes. Thanks for sharing with us..!!