Kambu is known as Pearl Millet in English and Bajra in Hindi. Kambu is one among the traditional diet from our ancestors. Actually, kambu is commonly used consumed during summers as they are a good source of natural coolant to the body, so most of the houses would have kambu porridge for their lunch in south India. Kambu Koozh or Pearl Millet Porridge is one among the most important dish found in all tamil houses during summer. Also you can make Kambu Laddu or Pearl Millet Ladoo which would be liked by kids. But you can also consume kambu koozh or rice during winter or rainy days with dry fish curry or tangy brinjal curry as side dish.
It’s Friday and I am taking to Fiesta Friday #156 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
CLICK HERE for more Breakfast recipes.
Health Benefits of Kambu / Pearl Millet / Bajra – Kambu is been a good source of coolant to the body. Also, they are good for treating constipation, acidity. Having kambu for breakfast, prevent blood sugar spikes and keep us full until the lunch and so very good for Diabetes people and helps in weight loss.
This Kambu Idly Dosa batter is perfect for a diabetes person, as there is no rice or rice flour in it. But it needs to be fermented overnight. Let me share the recipe…
- Kambu / Pearl Millet / Bajra flour – 3 cups
- White Lentils / Ulundu / Urad dal – 1 cup
- Salt to taste
Making of Kambu / Pearl Millet / Bajra Idly Dosa Batter –
- Soak white lentils/ulundu/urad dal in water for 4 to 5 hrs, drain the water and grind it to a fine paste by adding little water.
- Take kambu /pearl millet flour in a wide mouth bowl, pour the ground white lentil, add salt to taste.
- Pour water little by little, start mixing the batter well with your hands, so that the batter gets mixed well, make sure no lumps are formed.
- Cover and let it ferment overnight.
- After fermented, transfer it to an air-tight container.
- Refrigerate as it stays fresh for 4 to 5 days.
Note: While preparing Idly or Dosa, take a small portion of the batter, add water and adjust to the consistency of the batter and start preparing it. This helps the rest of the batter to stay fresh for a week time.
Awesome and informative post deep!!!❤️❤️👍🏻👍🏻
Healthy recipe, Thanks. Is the Kambu flour roasted Kambu or unroasted.
https://polldaddy.com/js/rating/rating.jsJust tried today.. thank you for the recipe
You are most welcome. Thanks a lot for the try.