Appam is a type of south Indian pancake made with fermented rice batter and coconut known as Hoppers. It is a most popular dish in Kerala and southern most part of TamilNadu. It is eaten most frequently for dinner and breakfast. Appams are soft and spongy in the centre and has a lacy border. It is very good for babies as it does not require much oil. Appam can be made only in the pan which is made for making appam.
- Raw rice – 2 cups
- Urad dhall – ½ cup
- Methi seeds or Fenugreek – 1 tsp
- Coconut (grated) – 2 tbsp
- Cooking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Appam pan
Making of Appam Batter without yeast / How to grind Appam batter in mixie –
- Soak all the ingredients together in water except cooking soda and coconut for about 5 hours.
- Grind it to a smooth paste.
- Add salt, coconut and grind it till it gets mixed well.
- Leave it to ferment.
- When its fermented, mix it with ¼ cup of water.