Tomato Curry / Thakkali Kulambu is one such easy and simple recipe with very few ingredients available at all Indian kitchens. Also it’s very simple so that bachelor or beginners could handle it perfectly, more over this can be prepared in case of emergency, when there are guests or during sick times or after a vacation.
CLICK HERE for more vegetarian recipes.
Tomato curry is little sweet, tangy and little spicy, all these tastes give a perfect taste when combined with steamed rice. For the texture of the curry, refer the video link below. Let me share the recipe…
- Tomatoes – 4 nos
- Onion – 1 no
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split Black gram – ¼ tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil / Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp.
Making of Tomato Curry / Thakkali Kulambu –
- Peel and finely chop the onions and tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add the mustard, split black gram and curry leaves, wait until they crackle.
- Add the onions and cook until they turn brown in color.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for few mins.
- Add the spice powders followed by salt, cook for few mins until the raw smell of spice powder goes off.
- Pour a cup of water, cook and cook until the tomatoes are mushy.
- Remove the lid and cook in low flame until the oil starts floating on the top.
- Transfer it to a bowl.
Serve hot with steamed rice and appalam or vadagam (rice crackers).