Soya chunks is commonly known as meal maker, which is protein rich food and acts as a substitute of non-vegetarian’s protein. Meal Maker is also good for weight loss, usually in mom’s place we don’t ever use soya chunks or meal maker, but came across this soya chunks / meal maker through my mother-in-law. My mother-in-law goes very often to temple, every day she has a reason to avoid non-veg and so soya chunks / meal maker is being the substitute for many of her dishes right from Biryani till Kootu and fry.
I have also shared few soya chunks / meal maker recipes like Soya chunks Roast, Soya chunks kurma, Soya chunks Pulao, Soya chunks Briyani / Meal Maker Biryani, Soya Paratha, Soya Tikki / Meal Maker Cutlet, and Aloo Soya Gravy.
Soya chunks Fry / Meal Maker varuval is a perfect side dish for any variety rice or lunch when accompanied with rice and curry. Soya chunks fry is very simple and easy to make with few ingredients available at our kitchen. Also this crisp and soft, so goes out well with curd rice. Let me share the recipe…
Taking this to Fiesta Friday #181 Hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
CLICK HERE for more Vegetarian recipes.
- Soya Chunks / Meal Maker – 150 gm
- Onion – 1 no (medium size)
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Split Black gram / split Black lentil – ½ tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Salt to taste
- Coconut Oil or any cooking oil – 1 tbsp
Making of Soya chunks Fry / Meal Maker Fry / Meal Maker Varuval –
- Boil a cup of water, once the water starts boiling, remove it from fire, add the soya chunks / meal maker and soak it for 2 to 5 mins or until it becomes soft.
- Drain the water, squeeze out the water from the soya chunks/meal maker and finely chop them into pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add the mustard, split black gram and curry leaves.
- Add the onions and cook until the onions turn transparent.
- Add the soya chunks / meal maker, add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, cumin powder and salt, cook for few mins or until the raw smell goes off.
- Drizzle little oil along the sides, and cook in medium flame for 2 to 3 mins or until the soya chunks/meal maker turns crisp or golden brown in color.
- Remove it from fire and transfer it to a bowl.
Serve hot with lunch.
Note: Cover the bowl, only when the soya chunks fry / meal maker varuval comes to room temperature, so that it stays crisp else it would turn soggy.