Wishing everyone a Happy Vinayagar Chaturthi
Usually all of us prepare modak or kozhukattai using rice flour, but this time thought of preparing with millets. Tried out with ragi/finger millet and kambu / pearl millet flour, it came out well, and prepared a very easy poornam with coconut and sugar. Everyone in my home liked it including my kids. So, shared the making of Millets modak dough with both Ragi or Finger millet (ragi modak dough / finger millet modak dough) and Kambu or Pearl millet (Kambu kozhukattai maavu recipe / Bajra modak dough) which will be useful for beginners, do check out the video below…
Making of Millets Modak Recipe / Millets Poorna Kozhukattai Recipe –
Millets Modak is very easy and simple to prepare, also it takes just few mins but the healthiest ones. When the whole running behind millets to stay fit and healthy, why not our Ganesha? Let us make something different but healthy and celebrate the festival.
CLICK HERE for more Vinayagar Chaturthi recipes and CLICK HERE for more Kozhukattai recipes.
Let me share the recipe…
- Kambu / Bajra / Pearl Millet Flour (store bought) – 1 cup
- Ragi / Finger Millet flour (store bought) – 1 cup
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Sugar or Crushed Jaggery – ¾ cup
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
Making of Millets Modak / Millets Kozhukattai –
- Dough preparation: Take the flour separately in separate bowl, add ½ tsp of salt. Boil 2 cups of water, it should form bubble (right consistency else the kozhukattai will break into pieces). Pour the water little by little to the flour, mix it with a spoon or wodden ladle, when its warm knead softly with your hands, roll it to dough and let it sit for 2 mins.
- Meanwhile let us start preparing the stuff, mix grated coconut, sugar and cardamom powder.
- If you don’t have mould, no issues you flatten the dough in between your plams, place the stuffing in the centre and roll it to ball or shape it to modak.
- When you have mould, grease the mould with oil, close it, insert a small portion of dough, gently make a whole in the centre of the dough and stuff the filling to the modak and cover it. (Refer video for this stage).
- Steam the modak for 5 mins in steamer, remove it from fire.