Ginger Bread Man is one of my favorite when it comes to Christmas, because of the wonderful aroma of ginger, spices and butter that pops out of the oven while baking gives the warmth of winter along with the feel of Christmas. We have lit up our Christmas tree and so wish to share a different recipe daily to boost the Christmas mood in everyone.
Been born and brought up in Thoothukudi, down south of Tamil Nadu, where there are few Anglo-Indians along with many Christian people, our town will be glowing bright with lights all over the streets, Christmas carousels, people partying and so on. Miss those childhood memories, we kids running to friend’s place to the see their Christmas tree and Kudil – where they place the idols of baby Jesus which replicates the birth place of Jesus along with his family and friends. Makes me feel nostalgic now.
Let us move on to our Gingerbread Man, these Eggless Gingerbread Man cookies, can be prepared in an hour time, with the spice mix, Maida, butter and molasses. I have substituted Palm Jaggery Syrup instead of Molasses, you can also substitute it with honey or maple syrup. Let me share the recipe…
- Maida / All-purpose flour – 1 ½ cup
- Brown sugar – ¼ cup
- Palm Jaggery syrup – ¼ cup
- Butter – ½ cup (room temperature)
- Baking powder – ½ tsp
- Baking soda or cooking soda – ½ tsp
- Salt – A pinch
- Dry Ginger powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Cloves powder – ½ tsp
- Cinnamon powder – ½ tsp
- Nutmeg powder – ½ tsp
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
- Gingerbread Man cookies cutter
Making of GingerBread Man Cookies –
- Take butter, brown sugar, palm jaggery syrup together in a bowl, mix it well or until it forms a creamy texture.
- In a bowl, sieve flour and all the spice powders together along wit baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the sieved flour little by little to the wet ingredients, fold it well make sure no lumps are formed.
- Knead the dough with hands and roll it in a cling film, refrigerate it for 30 mins.
- Remove the cling film, let the flour rest for 5 mins or until it reaches room temperature.
- Grease a tray and preheat oven to 180-degree C.
- Dust the working surface with Maida/all-purpose flour, flatten the dough and cut using Ginger Bread Man cookie cutter.
- Place it over the greased tray and bake it for few mins or until the cookies are bakes in 180-degree C.
- Remove the tray from microwave, let it rest for few mins or until it reaches room temperature.
- Remove the Gingerbread man cookies and store in an air-tight container.
Store in an air-tight container, it stays fresh for 2 weeks’ time.