Curry Puff is a deep-fried tea-time snack, which is available in all the nook and corner of the streets of Malaysia. Curry Puff being my favorite when I was in Malaysia, most of the time it would be my tea-time snack. Curry Puff is a deep-fried puff, where the stuffing is prepared by using potato. In Curry Puff, the outer coating is made of All-purpose flour (maida), kneaded with water, salt and little oil. Stuffing adds more taste to the Curry Puff, it resembles the taste of potato masala but more spiciness and little more flavored with curry powder.
Coming to Deep Fried snack, most of us avoid it, due to the cholesterol content and the risk of heart diseases, but recently I came across Emami Healthy and Tasty which has wide range of oil. Among their varieties I got to try Emami Tasty and Healthy – Refined Rice Bran oil and Kachi Ghani Mustard Oil
CLICK HERE for more Snack recipes.
Preparation of Curry Puff:
I have prepared this Curry Puff with Emami Healthy and Tasty Refined Rice Bran Oil – it helps in lowering the bad cholesterol, reduces the risk of heart diseases, moreover it is rich in Vitamin A, D and E and due to its high smoking point, it can be used in any type of cooking.
Taking it to Fiesta Friday #204 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
Let me share the recipe of Curry Puff, give a try and share your feedback…
- Maida / All- Purpose flour – 1 cup
- Boiled Potato – 2 nos (medium sized)
- Onions – ½ no (medium size)
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Curry Masala / Curry Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – 1 ½ tsp
- Emami Healthy and Tasty Refined Rice Bran Oil – 1 ½ cups
Making of Curry Puff:
- Take maida, ¾ tsp of salt, mix it well, pour water little by little and knead it to a dough, add a tsp of oil, continue kneading it and cover it with a wet cloth, let it rest until the stuffing is done.
- Heat a tsp of Emami Healthy and Tasty Refined Rice Bran oil, add the onions, turmeric powder, mashed potatoes and cook for a min.
- Add in the chilli powder, curry masala, coriander leaves, salt and cook until the raw smell of the masala goes off.
- Remove it from fire, wait until it reaches room temperature.
- Divide the dough into small pieces, flatten it, take the Curry Puff mould, place the flatten dough over the mould.
- Put a tbsp of potato masala, to the dough, fold the mould, remove the leftover dough.
- Gently remove the Stuffed Curry Puff from the mould.
- Meanwhile heat a cup of Emami Healthy and Tasty Refined Rice Bran oil, gently slide in the stuffed puff, cook on both sides in medium flame.
- Cook until it turns golden brown, strain the oil, and remove it from fire.
Serve hot with Tomato sauce.