Ellu urundai / Sesame Balls is one among the must to prepare during Vinayagar Chaturthi in all south Indian families. Already I have shared a version of Ellu Urundai or sesame balls – which as soft and melt in mouth version and now the other version which is crunchy and chewy. Also, do check out our video – which has both versions of Ellu Urundai together as a special of Vinayagar Chaturthi. Also it is known as Chimli urundai.
CLICK HERE for more Vinayagar Chaturthi recipes and CLICK HERE for more Diwali/Deepavali recipes.
Taking this to Fiesta Friday#185 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
Ellu urundai or Sesame laddo is the combination of both ellu /sesame and jaggery. Ellu urundai / Sesame balls has more health benefits as they lower cholesterol level, protect heart health, improves blood pressure, balances hormones, burns fat and so on. And so, they can be consumed anytime as it takes just 5 mins to prepare. Also, this can be prepared in bulks and store in an air-tight container, as it stays fresh for a week. Let me share the recipe…
Ellu Urundai / Sesame Balls / Crunchy Ellu Urundai recipe
- Ellu / Black Sesame / Til seeds – 1 cup
- Jaggery – ½ cup
- Water – ¼ cup
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
Making of Ellu urundai / Sesame Balls –
- Dry roast sesame / ellu in a heavy bottomed vessel for 2 mins or until it crackles. Roast only in medium flame else the sesame will be burnt and you give a slight bitter taste.
- Remove it from flame and transfer it to a plate, spread it and let it rest until it reaches the room temperature.
- Add jaggery and pour water, bring it boil, make sure it reaches the syrup consistency (once you let a drop of syrup to a bowl of water, it should not dissolve) Check out the consistency in the video as the consistency is very important here.
- Add the sesame seeds to the jaggery syrup, remove it from fire, keep on stirring once in a while for 2 mins or until it thickens and comes to a rolling consistency.
- Now take a small portion of sesame/ellu and roll it to a ball, let it rest for mins or until it reaches room temperature.
- Store it in an air-tight container, and it stays fresh for a week.
Falooda is one among the most popular street food all over India. Falooda has many flavors, I have already shared two falooda recipes – Sapotta / Chickoo Chocolate Falooda and Basic Falooda.
Royal Falooda / Falooda recipe / How to make falooda from scratch at home
As of Ramzan, I have prepared this Royal Falooda right from the scratch which describes the making of rose jelly, rose milk, cooking falooda vermicelli and layering. Just like that I forgot to click pictures, so do check out my video for the texture and consistency. Let me share the recipe…
CLICK HERE for Ramzan recipes and CLICK HERE for Desserts.
- Vermicelli (Thin vermicelli) – 25 strands
- Sabja seeds / Sharbhat seeds – 3 tbsp
- Sugar – 5 tbsp
- Agar-Agar / China grass – 5 gm
- Rose essence – 3 tbsp
- Milk – ½ litre
- Pistachios – 10 nos
- Vanilla Ice cream – 4 scoops
Making of Royal Falooda / Falooda –
- Soak sabja seeds in a cup of water for 20 mins or until it turns light grey in color.
- Soak pistachios in water for 30 mins, drain the water, peel of the skin, chop it to fine pieces and keep it aside.
- Boil the milk, pour a tbsp of rose essence followed by 3 tbsp of sugar. Cook until the sugar dissolves and the milk reduces to ¾ th of the quantity.
- Boil 2 cups of water in a heavy bottomed vessel, add the agar-agar/china grass, mix it well until it dissolves in water, pour a tbsp of rose essence, cook for 3 mins.
- Remove from fire, pour it to a bowl, let it rest for 30 mins so that it gets sets and reaches room temperature. Later refrigerate it for 20 to 30 mins.
- Remove it from the bowl and finely chop them into pieces, keep it aside.
- Boil 3 cups of water in a heavy bottom vessel, add the vermicelli and cook until it turns transparent and soft.
- Drain the water and rinse it in tap or cold water, keep it aside.
- Take a tall glass, add a tbsp of boiled vermicelli, followed by a tbsp soaked sabja seeds, followed by a tbsp of finely chopped rose jelly.
- Pour in the rose milk, until it ¾ th of the glass, add few pieces of finely chopped pistachios and top it with a scoop of icecream.
- Sprinkle few pieces of pistachios, rose jelly and dried rose petals.
Wednesday’s are Exotic with Madraasi and so this wednesday it’s going to be another Summer Coolant – “Tender Coconut (Elaneer) Custard with Summer Fruits”. Give a try and I am sure everyone of you would like this. CLICK HERE for more Exotic Recipes and subscribe with us for our youtube channel.
Summer Fruits in Tender Coconut Custard
Today onwards do not throw off the Tender Coconut meat after drinking the water, so that yu can prepare this yummy, delicios and summer coolant. give a try and refresh yourself with this summer and Beat the heat with this Tender coconut custard.
CLICK here for the recipe –