Black rice is also known as forbidden rice or emperor’s rice. Since it was only consumed by emperor’s, it is known as forbidden or emperor’s rice. Black rice is black in color, but becomes dark purple when cooked. It is a rare and old variety of rice that has been growing for centuries, in North East and South India which is commonly known as Kavuni Arisi in Tamil Nadu.
It has nutty taste and little chewy like brown rice even after cooked. Since it consumes time to get cooked, it’s soaked overnight or for 12 hours before cooked. It’s sticky and juicy nature suits it best for the making of desserts and sweets.
Health benefits: Black rice gives impressive health benefits when compare to other rice varieties. It fights inflammation fights cancer, improves heart health, reduce weight (rich in fibre and low in calories), helps to prevent diabetes, improves liver health and improves digestive system.
Black rice Pongal is very delicious and also healthier with little chewy and sticky nature it fits the concept of sweet Pongal very well. Black rice Pongal is also known as Kavuni Arisi Pongal or Karuppu Arisi pongal in tamil. Give a try and share your feedback…
- Black rice / Kavuni Arisi (கவுனி அரிசி) – 1 cup
- Crushed Sugarcane Jaggery / Vellam (அச்சு வெல்லம்) – ½ cup
- Cardamom powder (ஏலக்காய் பொடி) – ½ tsp
- Cashew nuts (முந்திரி) – 10 nos
- Raisins (உலர்ந்த திராட்சை) – 8 nos
- Ghee / Clarified butter (நெய்) – 2 tbsp
- Grated coconut (துருவிய தேங்காய்) – ¼ cup
Making of Black Rice Pongal / கவுனி அரிசி பொங்கல் –
- Soak black rice or kavuni arisi over night or for 12 hours, drain the water and keep it aside.
- Pressure-cook for 4 to 5 whistles or cook until it becomes soft and tender when you are cooking in a heavy bottom vessel.
- Once it’s coked completely make sure water is completely dried, then add the crushed jaggery and grated coconut.
- Cook in medium flame until the jaggery melts gets mixed well with the rice.
- Add in the cardamom powder followed by a tbsp. of ghee/clarified butter.
- Roast cashew nuts and raisins in the ghee / clarified butter and pour it to the Pongal, mix it well.
- Remove from fire.