Recently when I was thinking about the Afghan food, got to watch this dish in a cookery show and wanted to try it. We loved each and every bite of the gravy, the chicken was soft and tender with the juicy flavor in it.
Qorma Lawand is a rich creamy and melt in mouth gravy with mild spiciness, with wonderful aroma and flavor. Usually this gravy is prepared with Lamb meat but I got to prepare with Chicken and little potatoes. Goes out well with pulav or any Indian flat breads. Perfect recipe to try now for Ramadhan. Let me share the recipe…
- Chicken – 500 gms
- Potatoes – 3 nos
- Onions – 3 nos
- Green chillies – 3 nos
- Garlic – 10 cloves
- Ginger – 3 “inch pieces
- Cloves – 2 nos
- Cardamom – 2 nos
- Cinnamon – 1 stick
- Star Anise – 2 nos
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Yogurt/Curd – ¼ cup
- Cashewnuts – 10 nos
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Peel and finely chop the onions, slit the green chillies to equal halves (lengthwise).
- Peel the garlic and ginger, take them in a blender along with cashew nuts and blend them to a fine paste by adding little water.
- Marinate the chicken pieces in the ginger, garlic and cashew paste along with salt for 30 mins.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed kadai, add in the spices (cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and star anise) and cook until they turn dark in color.
- Add in the turmeric powder, cook for few seconds (be sure it should not be burnt).
- Peel and roughly chop the potatoes into medium size, keep it aside.
- Add in the onions, green chillies and cook until the onions start turning golden brown.
- Add in the roughly chopped potatoes and cook for few mins or until it starts turning golden brown in color.
- Add in the marinated chicken along with marinate and cook for few mins.
- Pour in the yogurt/curd, along with 2 cups of water, cover and cook for few mins or until the chicken and potatoes are cooked.
- Remove the lid and cook in low flame until the oil floats on the top.
Serve hot. Goes out well with steamed rice topped with fried onions or pulav/pilaf or any Indian flat bread.