Gingerbread is one most familiar recipe during winters and a must for Christmas and New Year feast. When I got see most of my blogger buddies sharing Gingerbread Men cookies, thought of sharing something different from that and this resulted me for this Gingerbread Cake.
Gingerbread cake consumes almost 5 mins more than the regular cakes, but it tastes heavenly, smells winter with moist texture and beautiful color. Let me share the recipe here, why wait, give a try and feel the winter before it moves off.
CLICK HERE for more Christmas and New Year recipe and CLICK HERE for more baking recipes.
- All-Purpose flour – 2 ½ cups
- Brown sugar- 2 cups
- Vegetable oil – 1 ¾ cups
- Molasses / Palm Jaggery sryup – 3 tbsp
- Baking powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Cooking soda – ½ tsp
- Cloves powder – ½ tsp
- Cinnamon powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Dry ginger powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Eggs – 3 nos (room temperature)
- Butter milk – 300 ml
- Milk – 150 ml
- Salt – ¼ tsp
Making of Gingerbread Cake –
- In a wide mouth bowl, sieve all-purpose flour, baking powder, cooking soda, cinnamon powder, salt, cloves powder and dry ginger powder, all together and keep it aside.
- In another bow, break the eggs, add brown sugar and beat it until the sugar dissolves.
- Add molasses/palm jaggery syrup followed by vegetable oil, butter milk and milk by beating them at regular intervals of time.
- Meanwhile pre-heat the microwave to 180 degree C and grease the baking tray.
- Add the sieved flour little by little to the wet ingredients and fold them gently (make sure no lumps are formed).
- Pour the batter to the baking tray and bake at 180 degree C for 10 mins or until the tooth pick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Transfer it to plate, once it comes to room temperature.
Serve at room temperature.
- Cream cheese – 1 cup
- Powdered sugar – ¾ cup
- Bring the cream cheese to room temperature, transfer it to a bowl, add the powdered sugar and beat it well until the sugar dissolves.
- Cut the cake into two equal halves, spread the cream cheese frosting over a piece of cake and cover it with the other piece.
- Spread the cream cheese frosting all over the cake and refrigerate for 5 to 6 hrs.
Cut and serve chilled.
I have tried few cakes and among all those there is something highlight in this cake. I have induced ginger powder and buttermilk for some spiciness in the cake. Also I have used brown sugar and cinnamon powder, which is good for diabetics. This been a good combination with pumpkin puree and resulted in a best spicy pumpkin cake. Let us move on to the recipe…
Spicy pumpkin cake with cheese frosting
- Flour – 1 ½ cups
- Brown sugar – 1 cup
- Eggs – 2 nos
- Pumpkin puree – ¾ cup
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Baking powder – ½ tsp
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Ginger powder – ½ tsp
- Buttermilk – ½ cup
- Butter – ½ cup
- Pumpkin puree – Peel and chop the pumpkin roughly and boil them. Drain the water and grind them in blender without adding water.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon powder and ginger powder together in a mixing bowl.
- Melt the butter.
- In another bowl, break the eggs, add melted butter, brown sugar, buttermilk, vanilla essence and beat them till they become soft and fluffy.
- Add in the pumpkin puree and beat them gently.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree C.
- Add in the sifted flour little by little and fold them well in the mixture.
- Grease the baking tray and pour in the batter. Bake it in 180 degree C for 8 mins.
- Insert a tooth pick in the centre of the cake. Remove the cake when the toothpick comes out clean, else bake it again.
- Cream cheese – 160 gm
- Butter – 30 gm
- Powdered sugar – 1 cup
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Food colouring – a pinch (any colour)
- Bring the cream cheese and butter to room temperature.
- Take cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl. Beat them in medium speed till they become stiff, soft and fluffy.
- Now if you could use any of the food colour of your choice and again beat them for few seconds.
- Pour the frost over the cake and spread them gently.
- Refrigerate it for at least half an hour and serve.
Note: Before frosting the cake, ensure that the cake is at room temperature. Otherwise the frosting would melt from the cake.