Basbousa or Basboosa is an Egyptian and traditional Middle East sweet cake prepared with Semolina, desiccated coconut, sugar, yogurt/curd and later soaked in sugar syrup which is flavored with rose water. It is also known as “Hareesa”. As of collecting few Middle East dishes for Ramzan, resulted in Basbousa through one of my neighbor.
Basbousa is a very easy, simple and a delicious dessert which flavors not only the kitchen but also the whole house with its wonderful aroma. Usually this Basbousa is baked until the top turns brown in color, but I have done it until it reaches golden brown. Let me share the recipe…
For more Ramzan/ Ramadan / Iftar recipes – Click here.
- Semolina – 2 cups
- Desiccated coconut – 1 cup
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Yogurt/Curd – ¾ cup
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Rose essence – 2 tsp
- Butter (melted) – ½ cup
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Almonds/Badam or Cashew or Pistachios – 15 nos
Making of Basbousa –
- Boil a cup of water in a heavy bottomed vessel, add in the nuts and allow to boil in high flame for 15 mins. Drain the water, peel the skin of the nuts, slice them to two equal halves and keep it aside.
- Preheat oven to 18o degree C.
- In a wide mouth bowl, add in the semolina/rava, desiccated coconut, sugar, baking powder and mix them well.
- Add in the yogurt/curd + 1 tbsp of water and mix them well with your hands (be sure no lumps should be formed and they would little tight in consistency).
- Grease a baking a tray and pour the semolina mixture to the tray and level the batter with your hands.
- Make cuts (desired shape) with the knife, pierce a nut in the center of each and every pieces.
- Bake for 8 mins or until the top starts turning to dark brown in color (I baked only till they turn golden brown in color).
- Meanwhile boil 1 ½ cups of water along with a cup of sugar, drizzle the rose essence and cook in medium flame, until it comes to the syrup consistency.
- Remove the tray once baked and pour the syrup over the cake, let it sit for 15 mins.
- Gently remove the pieces.
For my other desserts recipes, click here.