Already I have shared that I have been to the MASTER CHEF CLASS to PERSIAN Cooking with Chef Abhijit Saha hosted by Foodhall, 1 MG Road, Bangalore. We were taught 4 dishes, and my daughter went to help Chef for the 4th recipe – BAKLAVA with FIG & HONEY. Also every one of us had a baklava for taste, it was delicious and so we wanted to make it at home. My daughter prepared Baklava and I helped her. When most of us hear the name Baklava, we feel it would be very difficult to prepare, but Chef taught us as easy even a beginner could prepare it.
Thanks Food hall for hosting the event.
Baklava was delicious with the nuts as stuffing, honey drizzled over it and with crispy layers, and we all liked it to the core. I have tried this with Cherries as I was not able to get figs by the time we decided to prepare. Give a try, very simple, easy recipe…
Do check out my other Dessert recipes in this link: https://madraasi.com/recipes/desserts/
Taking this to Fiesta Fiday #114 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
Baklava with Cherry & Honey
- Filo sheets – 4 nos
- Unsalted butter – 2 tbsp
- For syrup:
- Water – 50 ml
- Caster sugar – 50 gm
- Honey – 50 gm
- For filling:
- Rose water – ½ tsp
- Cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
- Pistachios – roasted 60 gm
- Almonds/Badam – toasted 60 gm
- Cashew nuts – toasted 60 gm
- To serve:
- Cherries – 5 nos
- Pistachios – 4 nos (minced)
Syrup getting done
Nuts getting toasted
Filo sheets getting rubbed with butter
The filling getting rolled
About to roll
Filo sheets getting rolled
About to bake
Baklava with Cherry & Honey
- For Syrup: Make syrup by boiling water, sugar and honey together. Remove from fire, when it comes to syrup consistency and keep it aside.
- For Filling: Crush the nuts coarsely in a food processor and transfer it to a mixing bowl. Add in the cardamom powder and rose water. Pour in the required quantity of syrup, and mix all these together. Keep it aside.
- Take a filo sheet, cut into halves (lengthwise), cover the filo sheets with damp cloth, else it would be dry and break into pieces.
- Take a filo sheet, rub with melted butter, fold it and then again rub it with melted butter.
- Divide the filling into 4 equal balls, roll it.
- Now keep the rolled filling in the filo sheet and roll them gently. Refrigerate it for 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree C.
- Bake at 180 degree C for 5 to 6 mins or until you use golden brown spots on the Baklava
- Serving: Place the Baklava on the serving plate, pour in the leftover syrup, and sprinkle pistachios with some cherries and a mint sprig.
Stay tuned for other recipes also…
Note: You can also bake without refrigerating, but sometimes it would become shapeless by unrolling itself while baking.
As of Maha Shivratri, I want to try out some new dish as offering to God. Thought of preparing a sweet and spicy dish, and took out Akhrot Kaju Sheera as a sweet dish.
Akhrot Kaju Sheera is cashew nuts and walnuts. Walnuts are coarsely powdered and cashew nuts are broken into small pieces, for some graininess and crunchy texture. Let us move on to the recipe…
Akhrot Kaju Sheera
- Walnuts – 1 cup (300 gm)
- Cashew nuts – ¼ cup (15 to 20 pieces)
- Ghee – 1 ½ tsp
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Dry Ginger powder – ½ tsp
Coarsely grounded Akhrot (Walnuts)
Cashew nuts getting roasted in ghee/clarified butter
akhrot powder with ghee/clarified butter
With sugar syrup
With dried ginger powder
With roasted cashew nuts and ghee/clarified butter
Ghee/clarified butter oozing out of the sheera
Akhrot Kaju Sheera
- Take 1 cup of sugar with ½ cup of water, keep in medium flame, stir until the sugar dissolves and wait until the sugar comes to syrup consistency (1 thread consistency).
- Remove from the fire, leave it aside and allow it to reach room temperature.
- Take the walnuts in a blender and grind them to a coarse powder, spread it in a plate, break the lumps and let it come to room temperature.
- Broke the cashew nuts into small pieces and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tsp of ghee/clarified butter in a non-stick kadai, add in the cashew nuts and fry until they golden brown and remove them from the kadai and keep it aside.
- Add in the coarsely powdered walnuts and fry them until the aroma comes out or until it turns golden brown in color.
- Pour in the sugar syrup and start stirring continuously by adding a tsp of ghee/clarified butter every now and then.
- Sprinkle the Dry ginger powder and continue stirring.
- Keep on stirring until the aroma comes out and add in the roasted cashew nuts and keep on stirring until the sheera oozes out the ghee/clarified butter.
- Transfer it to a greased tray.
Garnish them with roasted cashew nuts and serve immediately.
Gateau is a rich cake, with layers of cream or fruit. Gateau can be prepared with biscuits, cakes, breads… I thought of attempting it with bread.
One of the heavenly dessert from my kitchen. Not only me also kids and hubby loved it to the core. Also I would say it has different taste when served at room temperature and refrigerated. I would prefer the refrigerated one.
It was simple, easy and needs few ingredients. Anyone can make, even the kids. Also I would say it’s going to be the healthiest one because of the fruits and cheese in it. Let us move on to the recipe…
Do check out my other desserts in this link: https://madraasi.com/recipes/desserts/
Taking this to Fiesta Friday #109 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
- Bread slices – 4 nos
- Banana – 1 no
- Hershey’s syrup (chocolate) – 2 tbsp
- Hershey’s syrup (strawberry) – 1 ½ tbsp.
- Cream cheese – 4 tbsp
- Cashewnuts – 10 nos
- Walnuts – 10 nos
- Badam / Almonds – 10 nos
- Sugar – 1 ½ tsp
- Butter – 1 tbsp.
Mashed banana with sugar
With hersey’s syrup (strawberry)
tasted bread layered with banana and sprinkled with ground nuts mixture
Layered with cream cheese
- Heat a tsp of butter in a non-stick tawa, toast the bread slices, sprinkle butter on the sides.
- Swap the sides of the bread and cook until they start turning golden brown.
- Take cashew nuts, walnuts, badam/almonds in a mixier and pulse them to a coarse powder.
- Transfer it to a bowl and keep it aside.
- Peel and chop the banana to small pieces, transfer it to a bowl and mash the banana’s using spoon or hands (be sure no lumps should be formed).
- Heat a pan, add in the mashed banana along with a tsp of sugar and pour hershey’s syrup (strawberry).
- Cook until it thickens and starts leaving the sides or for 7 mins.
- Transfer it to a bowl.
- Take out the sides of the toasted butter, cut each and every slices to two equal halves.
- Add a tsp of banana mixture, spread it over the bread.
- Sprinkle the ground nuts to the top of the banana mixture.
- Add in ½ tsp of cream cheese over the nuts and spread them slightly.
- Drizzle hershey’s syrup (chocolate) and refrigerate for 30 mins.
Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Note: You can prepare this with any fruits of your flavor or you can also combine fruits of your choice. Instead of bread, you can also prepare with biscuits, rusks.