Biryani is my family’s all-time favorite, particularly when it comes to my hubby and son – it’s their all-time favorite. So, biryani is a must in our lunch menu at least once in a week. After my you tube channel, there was request for Chicken Dum Biryani in simple and easy method.
Chicken Dum Biryani has the same ingredients as chicken biryani but a complete change in the preparation method. Both rice and chicken gravy is prepared separately and finally they are combined together and cooked. Also here the food color is used to give color for few stalks of rice and let me share the recipe…
- Chicken – ½ kg
- Long grain / Basmathi Rice – 3 cups (1 cup = 160 ml)
- Mint leaves + Coriander leaves – 1 cup
- Green chilli – 1 no
- Onions – 2 ½ no’s (medium size)
- Tomato – 1 no (medium size)
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 3 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cinnamon – 2 no’s (1 “inch stick)
- Star Snise – 3 no’s
- Bay leaf – 3 no’s
- Cloves – 6 nos
- Oil – 2 ½ tbsp
- Ghee / Clarified butter – 2 ½ tbsp
Making of Chicken Dum Biryani –
- Clean and roughly chop the chicken into medium pieces.
- Clean and finely chop the coriander + mint leaves.
- Peel and finely chop the onions and tomatoes, slit green chilli to equal halves and keep it aside.
- Wash the rice in water and drain the water, keep it aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 6 cups of water in a heavy bottom vessel, add cinnamon, cloves, star anise, bay leaf (each one) to the water.
- Cover with the lid and let it to boil.
- Add the cleaned rice to the water, once it starts boiling followed by salt for rice.
- Cook in medium flame, until the rice is 90% cooked.
- Once cooked, drain the water and spread the rice in plate and keep it aside.
- Heat another heavy bottom vessel, pour oil + ghee/clarified butter, add the leftover cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, bay leaf and star anise.
- Add the slit green chilli followed by half the quantity of mint + coriander leaves, cook until the leaves turn dark green in color.
- Add the onions and cook until they turn transparent.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until they turn mushy.
- Add the spice powder (turmeric, chilli and coriander powder), cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Add the chicken followed by salt and cook for 3 mins.
- Pour water, cover and let the chicken.
- Remove the lid when the chicken is cooked.
- Turn the flame to low, add the cooked rice to the gravy, spread it over the gravy, sprinkle finely chopped mint + coriander leaves, over the rice.
- Mix the red food color with few drops of water, sprinkle it all over the rice.
- Cover the vessel with a lid, place a weight over the lid, so that the vapour does not escapes out.
- Cook in medium flame for 10 mins.
- Remove the weight and lid, gently fluff the rice with a spoon and transfer it to a vessel.
Serve hot with any raita. I have accompanied it with onion-tomato raita and chicken 65.