Aval Mixture is a perfect tea time snack or a munch prepared by deep frying Aval / Flattened rice, peanuts, cashew nuts and finally flavoring them with chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt.
Aval Mixture or Poha Mixture or Flattened Rice Mixture is prepared commonly on Krishna Jeyanthi as an offering to Lord Krishna in India especially in Tamil Nadu. My hubby was the one who gave the idea and tips of getting the perfect deep fried Aval. Had a steel colander, but rarely I use it. But today I deep fried aval/flattened rice with the steel colander, which helped me to bring out the perfect, crispy, crunchy and colorful Aval/Flattened rice.
CLICK HERE for more Krishna Jeyanthi Recipes / Gokulastami Recipes / Janmastami Recipes.
This is a very simple and can be prepared in minutes. Let me share the recipe…
Aval Mixture / Flattened rice Mixture
Aval Mixture / Flattened rice Mixture
- Aval / Flattened Rice – 1 ½ cups
- Raw peanuts – ¼ cup
- Cashew nuts – 20 nos
- Curry leaves – a handful
- Chilli powder – ¾ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
Making of Aval Mixture –
- Heat oil in a kadai, add the curry leaves, deep fry them, drain the oil, and remove the curry leaves to a plate.
- Add the raw peanuts, deep fry until them, drain the oil and remove it to a plate.
- Add the cashew nuts, deep fry until it turn golden brown, drain the oil and remove it to a plate.
- Add the aval/flattened rice in a steel colander, drop them to oil, deep fry until it becomes crispy, drain the oil and remove it to a plate.
- Take a wide mouth bowl, add all the fried ingredients, sprinkle salt, chilli powder and turmeric powder, mix them well with a spoon.
Store it in an air-tight container, once it comes to room temperature and it stays fresh for 4 to 5 days.
This one was my long time wait dish and finally prepared it few days back. Mostly this kuzhipaniyaram batter needs fermentation, but this never needs fermentation and just they are prepared in minutes.
CLICK HERE for more Krishna Jayanthi recipes and CLICK HERE for Vinayagar Chathurthi.
Recently I have heard from few of friends about Online Grocery in Chennai (BigBasket) and their perfect home delivery and so too tired out and felt their home delivery was too good and each reached me on the right time. There was many such items which we get rarely in stores. I too got few millets like pearl millet and Foxtail millet which I get rarely in my neighborhood shops. Not only groceries but they also got meat, beauty products and readymade snacks. Give a try with BigBasket and make your monthly grocery from a place. Also now they have started their service in Chennai.
The dish was delicious and sweet, kids love this dish to the core. This can also be attempted as a salted or spicy version, but since the first time I have given a try with the sweet version. A healthy breakfast or a perfect snack for kids when they are from school. Let us move on to the recipe…
Check out my other snacks recipes in this link: https://madraasi.com/recipes/snacks/
Instant Wheat Paniyaram
Serving: 4 People
Cooking Time: 10 to 15 mins
Preparation Time: 10 min
- Wheat flour – 2 cups
- Banana – 1 (large size)
- Cooking soda – ¼ tsp
- Jaggery syrup – a cup
- Coconut (grated) – ½ cup
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Ginger powder – ½ tsp
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
- Oil or ghee/clarified butter – 3 tbsp
Making of Instant Wheat Appam / Godhumai Paniyaram –
- Prepare Jaggery syrup.
- Take wheat flour, cardamom powder, cooking soda, grated coconut, and pinch of salt, ginger powder all together in a bowl.
- Mash the banana, add it to the bowl and keep mixing it with the flour.
- Pour in jaggery syrup little by little, mix well with your hands (be sure that lumps are formed).
- Check for the sugar in the flour, if the sweetness is ok, pour in water little by little and mix it well, it should be in dosa batter or pancake consistency.
- Heat the appe pan / kozhipaniyaram pan, drizzle oil, fill half of the hole with the batter and cover with the lid for 5 mins. Cook in medium flame.
- Remove the lid and swap the sides of the paniyaram, cover and cook for another 5 mins.
- Transfer it to a plate.
Flour and spice powders together
With jaggery syrup
Mixed well with water
Scooped in kadhai
Sides getting swapped
Instant Wheat Appam recipe / Godhumai Paniyaram recipe / Instant wheat paniyaram recipe
Serve hot. A perfect and a healthy snack or breakfast for kids.