Ellu urundai is one of our staple sweets made during certain festivals like Vinayakar Chaturthi and Krishna Jeyanthi. This is made with Black sesame seeds, jaggery / palm sugar and cardamom powder. This dish can be made in large quantity and stored in a air tight container for a week time.
Ellu Urundai / Sesame Balls / Soft Ellu Urundai recipe
CLICK HERE for more Krishna Jayanthi recipes and CLICK HERE for more Vinayagar Chaturthi recipes
Ellu urundai / Sesame ladoos / Sesame and Jaggery balls
- Black Sesame seeds / Ellu / Til seeds – 1 cup
- Jaggery – ¼ cup
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
roasted sesame seeds
Sesame, jaggery and cardamom powder about to pulse
Sesame mixture in a bowl
Ellu urundai / Sesame ladoos / Sesame & Jaggery balls
- Heat the kadai and dry roast them till they pop around. Let it come to room temperature.
- Take it in a blender with jaggery and cardamom powder. Pulse them together.
- Transfer it to a bowl. Take small portions and shape them into ladoos.
Store it in a air tight container and consume for a week time.
CLICK HERE for Diwali / Deepavali recipes
Note: Be careful when roasting the sesame seeds, remove it from heat when it pops out else it would get burnt and would taste bitter.
Sesame Chutney / Elly Thuvayal
- Black Sesame seeds/Ellu – 2 tbsp
- Grated coconut – 1 tbsp
- Blackgram/Urad dal – 1 tbsp
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Tamarind – a pea sized
- Red chillies – 5 nos
- Salt to taste
- Gingelly oil – 1 tbsp
Sesame getting dry roasted
Coconut dry roasted
Spices getting roasted
Sesame Chutney / Ellu thogayal
- Dry roast sesame/ellu seeds in low flame, be carefully it should be burnt.
- Remove from fire and cool it.
- Dry roast grated coconut, fry till it turns golden brown. Remove from fire.
- Dry roast blackgram, redchillies, garlic and tamarind. Wait till the raw smell goes off.
- Now grind all these together by adding water to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in kadai. Pur mustard, split blackgramand curry leaves.
- Wait till it crackle.
- Now pour the chutney to it and stir well for 5 mins.
Serve hot. It goes out well with all variety rices especially highlight with ulundu sadam, idli and dosa.
Sai Baba – My all time favourite
I go Vegan on Thursdays, since I am a devotee for Saibaba. So planned to make something I haven’t tried till this date. I had this “Ulundu rice” in my college days from one of my college-mate. I love ❤ this rice a lot, but my that time being playful :D, I never even opened my ears for recipe to her. All of a sudden yesterday I was thinking about those days and started for this recipe. Finally got this and attempted today morning it and result was too good.
It’s one of the famous recipe of Tirunelveli town of the southern part of India. This Ulundu sadam / Blackgram rice is accompanied with ELLU THOGAYAL / Black SESAME Chutney and Avial. Incase of Non-veg it’s accompanied with ELLU THOGAYAL / Black sesame chutney and Dry Fish gravy.
These are usually prepared for teen girls during their puberty. This rice strengthens the bones and this Ellu thogayal is to flush out the toxins from ovaries and Avial includes the goodness of all vegetables.
Ulundu sadham / Balckgram rice, Ellu thogayal/ Black Sesame chutney / Avial