As most of us are looking out for healthy recipes, but like to have desserts especially when it comes to cakes, who say no? So thought of making a healthy cake, this resulted in my vegan Coffee Cake with walnuts. Already I shared my Coffee Cake with Nutty crunch and this cake is very special and completely different from that as it has no eggs, no butter, no sugar, and no milk and prepared with wheat flour/atta.
This cake is very healthy dessert and good not only for weight watchers, but also for diabetes people. Also this tastes yum, and has the soft and fluffy texture which would be liked by everyone. Enjoy your winter by giving a try to this healthy and delicious Vegan Coffee Cake. Let me share the recipe…
CLICK HERE for more baking recipes.
Awwww. Its Friday, taking my cake to Fiesta Friday #149 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
Vegan Coffee Cake with Walnuts
- Wheat flour / Atta – 1 ½ cups
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Walnuts – ½ cup
- Oil – 1 cup
- Black Coffee – 1 cup
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Organic Brown Sugar – 1 cup
Making of Vegan Coffee Cake with Walnuts –
- Sieve the wheat flour, cinnamon powder, salt and baking powder, all together in a bowl. Keep it aside.
- Crush or finely chop the walnuts to pieces and keep it aside.
- Take a wide mouth bowl, pour oil, black coffee, lemon juice and add the organic brown sugar, mix it well until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Take 2 tsps of sieved flour and keep it aside.
- Add the leftover sieved flour to the black coffee mixture, little by little and fold them well without any lumps.
- Meanwhile preheat the microwave to 180 degree C and grease the cake tray.
- Add the walnuts to the reserved sieved flour and mix it well. Make sure that the walnuts have got coated well with the flour.
- Add walnuts along with the flour to the cake batter and mix it well. Refer the above video for the consistency.
- Transfer the cake batter to the greased tray and bake it for 5 to 10 mins or until a tooth pick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean at 180 degree C.
- Once baked, let the cake rest for 5 mins and transfer the cake to a plate.
Serve hot or at room temperature or chilled. Perfect for a tea-time or perfect for brunch with a scoop of ice cream.
Dates is one among the delicious and healthy halwa, but takes almost an hour to prepare. Compared to the health benefits, I would say its worth in making. Since the dates are sweet by nature, I have added less quantity of sugar but please be generous in Ghee/Clarified butter. Let me share the recipe…
CLICK HERE for more Diwali recipes and CLICK HERE for more dessert recipes.
- Dates (seedless) – ¼ kg
- Sugar – 4 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 15 nos
- Almonds / Badam – 10 nos
- Ghee / Clarified butter – 1 ½ cups (1 cup = 160 ml)
- Cardamom Powder – ½ tsp
Making of Dates Halwa / Perichampala Halwa –
- Use seedless dates, else remove the seeds off the dates. Break the cashew nuts into small pieces, blanch and chop the almonds/badams to small pieces.
- Soak the dates in a cup hot water for almost 30 mins, it would become soft, if not once heat the water with dates and let it rest for 20 mins or until it becomes soft.
- Grind the dates along with the water to a fine paste.
- Grease a tray with ghee/clarified butter and keep it aside.
- Heat a tbsp of ghee in a small vessel, add the chopped cashew nuts and almonds/badam and cook until they start turning golden brown in color.
- Heat a heavy bottomed vessel or a non-stick vessel, pour the ground dates mixture.
- Add the sugar, stir well until the sugar gets dissolved.
- Keep on stirring until the dates sugar mixture becomes little thick. Cook in medium flame.
- When it starts getting thicken, start drizzling ghee/clarified butter (two tsps. at a time) all over the corners.
- Keep on stirring, don’t leave stirring may be you can stir slowly.
- Meanwhile pour the roasted nuts along with ghee followed by cardamom powder and stir well.
- Keep on drizzling ghee/clarified butter at regular intervals, whenever the dates paste absorb the ghee/clarified butter.
- At one stage the dates would start oozing out the ghee/clarified butter, it means the Dates Halwa is ready.
- Transfer the halwa to the greased tray, wait until it reaches room temperature, and cut them to your desired shape.
Serve. Dates Halwa stays fresh for a week in room temperature, when stored in an air-tight container.
This is my next share about my adventure with food, so called foodventure –Dessert with Twist. I hate summers, but like the nature produce at summer. As a foodie, I like to explore and give a try to all the fruits and veggies, gifted by nature and at times I too develop a healthy coolant recipe with no artificial flavoring or artificial essence. I like to have tender coconut, on summers right from my childhood. But whenever I have tender coconut, I would demand for the tender coconut meat, when I found it glassy and thin I would like to have it. Incase if it’s hard and thick, I would never have it.
This things happens right from my childhood, but now after developing few culinary skills, I thought why we don’t try something with this tender coconut meat. This time when I had tender coconut, I got the tender coconut meat home, and was wondering what to prepare with this. Just like that went and checked my refrigerator and found summer special fruits lying there. It was apple, plum and banana and whenever I have apple and banana at home, I go for fruit custard which I love to the core and would say my anytime favorite dessert.
Tender Coconut / Yelaneer Custard
Tender Coconut / Yelaneer Fruit Custard
And now hope you all would have caught what my mind says, yes my mind wants me to try Custard with the Tender coconut meat. I very well knew that once the tender coconut meat gets grinded with milk or tender coconut water, it would retain a thick and fluffy texture. And so now I am into action, as told in the previous post – Let me share my adventure with food with #Foodventures, conducted by Axis Bank Dining Delights where the best foodventure will get a chance to dine with Michelin Star Chef – Vikas Khanna and Food Connoisseur Vir. Sanghvi.
Never miss the opportunity to get featured with the celebrities and to bring out your #Foodventures to the world.
You can also refer to their website in this link: http://foodventures.diningdelights.in/ and the video to get a clear view of #Foodventures: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTUKM0Chop8
Let me now share my recipe…
- Tender coconut meat / Yelaneer Thengai – 2 nos
- Milk – ½ cup
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Agar-agar – a fistful
- Mixed fruits (pomegranate, apple, papaya, watermelon) – 2 cups
Yelaneer/Tender coconut meat about to blend
Blended all together with milk and sugar
Agar-agar getting boiled
Blended with agar-agar mixture
Into the mould
After 6 hrs of refrigeration and completely set
Tender Coconut / Yelaneer Custard
Tender Coconut / Yelaneer Fruit Custard
- Drain all the water and take only the tender coconut meat in the blender. Blend well to a fine paste.
- Pour in the milk along with sugar and blend them well to a fine paste.
- Meanwhile wash the agar-agar in running water (until it becomes soft).
- Boil the water, add in the agar-agar and continue until it gets dissolved in water.
- Remove from flame, bring it to room temperature.
- Pour it to the tender coconut paste, continue blending it to fine paste.
- Pour it to bowl, refrigerate it for 5 hrs.
- Peel and finely chop the fruits. In a glass bowl, start layering the fruits one by one and top it with tender coconut custard.
- Refrigerate for 20 to 30 mins.