Egg hoppers are nothing but hoppers made with egg. Eggs are broken at the center of the hoppers, sprinkled with salt and cooked. Let us move on to the recipe…
Muttai appam / Egg Hoppers
- Pour appam batter in the appam pan.
- Rotate the pan, to make the batter stick to the sides of the pan.
- Break egg in the centre of the appam, sprinkle salt.
- Cover ans cook in medium flame, till the egg is cooked.
Serve hot with stew (chicken or vegetable). I have accompanied this with chicken stew.
Appam is a type of south Indian pancake made with fermented rice batter and coconut known as Hoppers. It is a most popular dish in Kerala and southern most part of TamilNadu. It is eaten most frequently for dinner and breakfast. Appams are soft and spongy in the centre and has a lacy border. It is very good for babies as it does not require much oil. Appam can be made only in the pan which is made for making appam.
CLICK HERE for more Breakfast Recipes
Appam / Hoppers
- Appam Batter – 2 cups
- Water – 1/4 cup (optional use only when your is thick).
Making of Appam –
How to make Appam:
- Pour the batter in the centre of the pan.
- Then turn the whole pan with your hands to a round shape, so that the batter will stick to the sides of the pan.
- Cover with the lid and wait till the side changes to golden brown colour.
Serve appam hot with coconut milk or vegetable stew or chicken stew.
Note: The batter should be thin, so that the sides would turn brown.