As I shared in my earlier blogs about the home, interiors and stated that “Healthy Home leads to Healthy Life”, when it comes to cleanliness I am more conscious about it. So I use to clean my kitchen at least once in a month. During festivals the cleaning would become a little toughest job, because not only kitchen, but we need to clean the whole house.
CLICK HERE for Pongal Recipes.
Pongal is one among the most important Tamilian dish prepared on Pongal festival (Tamilian festival). Usually people prepare Pongal with coconut jaggery (vellam) and here I have prepared the same dish with Kalkandu/Rock Candy. This is one of festive recipe prepared among all tamilians. Also check out my Karkandu Pongal / Rockcandy Pongal below…
It tastes delicious and had good texture with the combination of milk, ghee/clarified butter, roasted nuts, green gram dal and raw rice, a very simple, easy and healthy recipe. It is also a favorite dish for kids. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Greengram dal/Moong dal/Paasiparuppu – ½ cup
- Ghee/Clarified butter – 3 tbsp
- Rock candy / Kalkandu – ½ cup
- Cashew nuts – 10 nos
- Raisins – 10 nos
- Milk – ½ litre
Making of Karkandu Pongal / Rockcandy Pongal –
- Wash the rice and green gram dal/paasiparuppu/mung dal, drain the water and keep it aside.
- Crush the rock candy/kalkandu and keep it aside.
- Heat ½ tbsp of ghee/clarified butter in a pressure-cooker, add in the rice and green gram dal/paasiparuppu/mung dal, and cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in 3 cups of milk and a cup of water, let it boil and pressure-cook it for 3 whistles.
- Remove the lid when the pressure subsides, the rice should be mashing consistency or should be mashed. Mash the rice and dal with a spoon (no lumps should be formed).
- Transfer it to a non-stick kadhai and keep in medium flame.
- Pour over the leftover milk and bring it to boil.
- Heat a tbsp of ghee/clarified butter, add in the cashew nuts and cook until it starts turning golden brown.
- Add in the raisins and cook until it doubles in size, pour it to the boiling rice along with the leftover ghee/clarified butter.
- Add in the crushed kalkandu/rock candy and cook until it melts.
- Keep on stirring once in a while, else it would be burnt.
- Cook until it thickens and the ghee/clarified butter separates and floats on the sides of the rice.
Serve hot. Goes out well for breakfast, as an offering to god.
As a tamilian, and now heading to Pongal and other south Indian states heading to Sankaranti, and it’s believed that starting new things over pongal that may get good health and fortune year long. So To welcome prosperity & good health, we thoroughly clean our home & kitchen every Pongal. But cockroaches escape from our cleaning by hiding deep into the cracks and crevices, contaminate food and utensils behind our back to spread food poisoning. Don’t let these cockroaches disrupt your family’s health ever. Use LAL HIT not just this Pongal, but every month during the kitchen cleaning. Its unique ‘Deep Reach Nozzle’ reaches deep into the corners and crevices, and kills even the hidden cockroaches. #SayNoToFoodPoisoning.
I have started with my cleaning process, how about you? Do follow the above instructions for the easy, simple, painless and quick but perfect cleaning of home with LAL HIT as Health is Wealth. Wish you all a HAPPY PONGAL/SANKARANTHI from MADRAASI.